I have over 20 failed businesses - Am I an entrepreneur?

Andrew Thompson
1 reply
What follows here is a story, lesson, fable, moral - who cares. What does matter and who should care is if there is value here in these words. Since I was 10, I have built, started and run (poorly) at least 20 different businesses. I am serious - I have a list. Here are some that were of note: MySpaceSupport.com, Drivable, Perfection Apparel, BEMODEL, Reserved Bottle Service App, Amazon FBA attempt (50k), Relay App, Fuze App, Evolve Fitness, and now here I am with my newest startup right now Gypsee, that launches Monday. 100 percent of blood, sweat, tears and my money went into each of these. One made it - MyspaceSupport.com. This was the first ever Myspace Profile Editor. Ever. That was then. In terms of startups and “the internet,” eons ago (2005-2006). This is now. Now, I am questioning if I have what it takes. Can I get back to that point? Here is why I question it - I cannot fathom the idea of working to make another man rich. Just. No. So, I have struggled to make ends meet to reach that level I once held. The drive and need is taking a toll on me in all three ways: physical, emotional and mental. I am tired. I am tired of wondering if I can afford this month’s bills, groceries, family (I have two children, one of each.) Three years ago, I had raised some substantial capital, and the startup tanked. Am I good enough? Do I have what it takes to build a startup and be an entrepreneur? That concept of getting a j-o-b is just not there. I would sooner gnaw my arm off than shake the hand of a person whom I will see as a boss. Am I going to be the next Elon Musk? Hint: No. I don’t really fucking care if I am or not. The startup that tanked - 1.8 million dollars in the toilet. Money in the toilet because of the person in the mirror. I had absolutely no interest in the business or purpose. Btw, it was a fitness app. I wasn’t even remotely proud to say what I was working on. What I did care about was what was brewing in my head. This passion project I had in my head. I could not tell my co-founders, but the company was turning to shit in short order. I did the only thing I could do. I tossed a few logs into the burning pile and walked away. Why? Simple: Freedom. I could work on what I wanted and not what someone else wanted. This would be mine, and more importantly, I would answer to no man about what or how I did this. I informed the investors I was leaving. I rolled them into my current idea since I lost their money. Then a year passed. I was hardly making it (remember the family part?), but I was building. I was lost in who I am but in love with the concept in my mind. Then finally… After 14 fucking months of struggling and searching for an investor - a wire of $100,000.00 hit my account. Late February 2020. Then - pandemic. Fuck. The idea of traveling was shot to hell. My investors freaked about their cash. For a year, it seemed the virus was destined to screw us all. Any hope I had went up in flames like the previous startup. I about said fuck it, but there was a problem. That problem was in the back of my head that still said - the idea has potential. Spin the bottle, throw the dice - I tried Reddit. God bless Reddit. I found them. Two co-founders, two technical gurus who would compliment me and my skills. We have built a strong relationship via Zoom/Slack over working on Gypsee. Word of advice: Co-founders work. If you are going at this solo - stop, and get help. It makes a difference. We came together in July. We have worked 24/7 since on my idea, which is becoming their idea and our idea. The pandemic appears to be slowing - finally. States are reopening. My faith is returning - slowly. Don’t think for a second this is coming easily - I have fought like the third monkey getting on the Ark, and it is starting to rain. Personal demons. Family. Survival. Seeing everything I have done collapse and burn right before me. Still with the self-doubt. Always with the self-doubt. Guess what? Here I am. My idea is here. Is it going to work? Will it be so incredibly awesome that it will disrupt the travel industry like I hope? (yes there is a lot more that is not on the website, this is just phase 1 mvp) Who fucking cares? I don’t. I did it. I have made it to this point without throwing my hands into the air and saying, “Screw this! I will get a real job!” (Excuse me while I vomit violently in the corner.) I have a team. I did not give up. I spent EIGHT YEARS of no income to get here and to have something I can see, and say, “Fuck yes.” So, what is my point exactly? Don’t quit. Borrow from Dylan Thomas, “Do not go gentle into that good night/Rage, rage against the dying of the light.” I hope to post positive news here in the next 6 months with my rollout strategy. I have over 20 startups/websites/apps/businesses under my belt. I have made it with only barely three of them in the last 15 years. I am 33 years old. Gypsee is here. It is Travel with Friends: Simplified. (must visit on your mobile browser) If this rant seems too much, I half-heartedly apologize. I wanted to share my entrepreneurial experience with you guys. It is a hope you took something from it. Namaste

Replies

Home Care Assistance of Des Moines
Yes still you are entrepreneur failures dosen't means that you can't get success. Alzheimer’s Care Des Moines