How was your first launch on Product Hunt? 😸

Aleyna Çatak
29 replies
Do you remember how it was when you were a Product Hunt newbie? What was the mistakes that you did on your first launch? Let’s meet in the comments to share our advices for the people who are going to launch their products for the first time! 🚀

Replies

Angi Bowman
We were originally hunted way back in the day before we even knew PH, so that was the first issue. We had a great new feature, so we decided to launch it. Mistake: Not building any community Mistake: Not being able to have the products in place to engage with our current customer base to generate interest Mistake: Getting too caught up in things like the day of the week and debating a tagline that we forgot to build stronger media and outreach Mistake: Not being able to offer a promo Mistake: Reading too many "helpful" blogs. This was back in 2016, so I'm glad to see PH has a blog to help now too. Basically, we had a great idea that seemed researched but lacked the technology, tools and time to execute it successfully.
Angi Bowman
@aleynacatak Exactly! We learn from our mistakes, and make the most of out of the next one! You live; you learn. We're hoping to launch next month or so, and I can't wait to see how the results change with the right tools in place.
Aleyna Çatak
@lucky__angi Thank you for sharing your experience, Angi! We learn from our first experiences a lot. We did the exact same things on our first launch, which we didn't succeed :D Gaining experience from these "mistakes" helped a lot during our next launches.
Arda Helvacılar
First time we launched it was for a free feature for our app. We gathered all of our friends to the launch, received 474 votes and placed 17th.. So, PH is not about vote numbers but it’s community 😁
Aleyna Çatak
@helvacilar Couldn’t agree more… Thanks for the great tip 🥲
Devanand Premkumar
@helvacilar I think this is a very good learning as well. Friends and family are good to support but doesn't help much in the rank list of Product Hunt. Here the community and its vibrant way of providing feedback matters a lot. This better be kept in mind for all future launches :)
Steve Takhirov
@helvacilar Haha Arda really funny right. So you're talking about the launch of the same product as Aleyna right? Since you're both at Sertifier. Dude if you are gonna act like you don't know each other at least remove your job titles from Linkedin.
Barış Bingöl
Hahaha we mostly had no idea what we were doing, it was pure chaos! Good learning experience tho. DO 👏 YOUR 👏 RESEARCH 👏 PEOPLE 👏
Devanand Premkumar
@baris_bingol @aleynacatak From chaos emerges order. Better be aware of best practices, launch tips from people who have done it earlier would need to be used to our advantage while launching afresh.
Steve Takhirov
@baris_bingol YEAH MAN LIKE CHECK OUT PEOPLES LINKEDIN PROFILES TO CHECK IF THEY KNOW EACH OTHER
Gabriele Sangrigoli
@baris_bingol can you give me some advice based on your experience? :D
Keren Brickman
@steve_takhirov Could you expand on this? :) The caps makes me feel like this is super important to know!
Ege Yalçınkaya
It's always a must to communicate with people. Don't just publish the product and leave it there but ask for feedback, thoughts. It's a great place to hear the reality about your product and its improvement.
Aleyna Çatak
@egeyalcinkaya I agree. When you launch your product, it is the first time the community sees it. They will most probably have lots of questions in mind, so we should stay there and clarify what makes them curious. Thank you for your response, Ege!
Devanand Premkumar
@egeyalcinkaya Reality meets life. Curious to understand how did you establish the connect with people and communicated. Any lessons learnt through feedback in here?
Steve Takhirov
@egeyalcinkaya @devaonbreaches Really here too :/ you guys are like the worst group of people. Stop acting like you aren't in the same company planning these conversations out.
Deepa from True Sparrow
Following and learning from this thread as a soon-to-be-maker.
Aleyna Çatak
@shahdeepa Learning from your mistakes is significant, but learning from other people's mistakes hits different! I wish you luck with your upcoming launch ^.^
Leandro Zubrezki
First time launch happening right now 😱
Aleyna Çatak
@leanzubrezki I wish you luck with your first launch! You'll learn a lot about what to do during your next launches, believe me ^.^
FitAppps
Very good. It helped me for good launch.
Ido Lavi
First launch ever was Virtual Office. Built the landing page in 2 hours, launched at 3:30am local time. Got #3 Product of the Day, kickstarted the sales of our product and became a company that we sold recently. Some time dumb luck is better than anything
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
Haven't launched yet 😁 but hopefully will launch next week
Viktoriia Marshall
Great. It was cool experience.
Gabriele Sangrigoli
I'm going to :) Just not yet
Taja Marcetic
At DeltaHub we're just about to launch our ergonomic wrist rest called Carpio: https://www.producthunt.com/upco... so we're going to see how things turn out. In case you find our product interesting, you can follow our CEO @forst and vote for Carpio on the 27th. Would mean a lot :)
Jose Puga
Thank you for all your tips, everyone. I will also soon launch my first MVP on PH (www.imaginario.ai). I need to learn the ropes!
Taja Marcetic
Let's see...we launched it today and I'd say it's going quite allright 😊 If you find our product interesting and you wanna show some extra support, just find us in the top products list. Our product is called Carpio 2.0 😄