How to Best Answer "What Are Your Weaknesses?" in a Job Interview?

Roy
19 replies
Well, I generally ask questions related to marketing and businesses. But here is a off the topic question that I think a lot of us can benefit from. So lets discuss the different ways to answer "What Are Your Weaknesses?" in a Job Interview.

Replies

Nitin Garg (Career guide)
"This is a wonderful article. I can see that you have done a lot of research and your subject knowledge is good and impressive. This is Nitin, I also like to write for an education blog !!www.cleariitmedical.com - This is an online blog for students who want to prepare for India's most difficult entrance exams - IIT JEE and NEET This is a free blog and provide free study material, quiz and notes to those who can't afford to pay hefty fees of coaching institutes. I write free of cost for the good cause. I know you must be busy with your work but if you could take out some time from your busy schedule and have a look at it. I saw a good collection of articles. If you only write a few words about this blog then it can help a lot of students out there. Thanks!"
Slava Bobrov
With honesty. When I ask this question during an interview I do it mostly to see how honest and open the person is about this topic. Because my goal is not to find a person without weaknesses, but to find a person whose weaknesses my team complement with their strengths and vice versa.
Roy
@slava_bobrov Wow! That's a great perspective! I am sure this will help anyone reading this thread. Thanx Slava.
Arnab Barua
@slava_bobrov my typical answer, because its true: "I have a tendency to help someone so well, that they keep coming back to me for help next time. I alleviate this by asking them "what do you think you should do next" and helping them help themselves" :)
Daryll Wong
@slava_bobrov A very interesting perspective! Curious to hear what are some examples of weaknesses which you felt was a 'great fit' to your team?
Jan Mazurek
There is a joke: - Please tell me what is your weakness? - I'm an honest person! - In my opinion it's not a weakness, so... - I don't care your opinion!
Fardous Karims
Self-confidenceâš¡
Roy
@fardous_karim okay!!! anything else?
Isabel Nyo
Everyone has got weaknesses. As a seasoned interviewer, I am looking to see whether the interviewee has got self-awareness and what they are doing about their weakness when I ask such a question. So there is no right or wrong answer, as long as your answer demonstrates that you acknowledge your shortcomings and are trying to get better/there are ways to work around your weakness.
Isabel Nyo
For more tips, check out these free quizzes that I've put together on interviewing skills based on my book: http://bit.ly/nailthatinterviewq...
Sazzadur Rahman
trust some one easily😞
Eugene Hauptmann
ah, great question to ask! @roy_outgrow this is a good question to ask if you want to understand better personal qualities of a candidates, their culture and values, without explicitly asking so. everybody makes mistakes, everybody have their own weaknesses. The question if you are doing something about it or not. Are you growing as a person, are you learning from your mistakes, are you aware of them, are you self-accountable, and so on. As long as you have a plan on what to do with your weaknesses, they stop being a liability and become an instrument in your plan.