How should we educate kids as AI becomes more powerful?

Kane
30 replies

Replies

Stephen
What I find amazing is that my new grandchild is going to have an amazing array of new learning tools that are yet to be invented at her disposal when she arrives in pre-school in a a few years time. AI is going to help accelerate the learning experience for her generation, just like the Internet opened the world up to my own children. I am an educator by background and I am already using generative AI to help students to ask better questions, using conversational video AI.
Kane
Launching soon!
As a new dad and an engineer/product manager, I've been getting asked this question a lot by fellow parents lately. It seems like East Asian parents in particular are really worried about it.
Greg ⚡️ Join The ChatGPT Post newsletter
@blueeon Interesting, why is this a concern for East Asian parents? Any idea?
Kane
Launching soon!
@conversionrocks In my experience, some East Asian countries, like China, tend to emphasize rote learning and test-taking in their education system. They focus more on developing technical skills and producing engineers. From what I've seen in Chinese media, discussions about potential unemployment resonate with many people. It seems that many believe that jobs like graphic design, customer service, and even writing may easily be replaced by AI or result in fewer job opportunities.
Kane
Launching soon!
@conversionrocks Last week, a children's author dropped a post about how they used chatGPT and image generation tech to crank out a kid's picture book in just two hours, then spent a month publishing it. But in the comments, over half the folks were worried about their jobs getting replaced.
Harley coates
By integrating AI education into the curriculum and considering teaching critical thinking skills.
Steven Birchall
@harley_coates completely agree, especially the critical thinking skills.
Abhinav Yadav
@harley_coates Agree, AI will augment and make things efficient. We should make future earthlings aware about how to harness it.
Kevin Lu
Because our children will grow up in an environment filled with AI, their ability to adapt to AI will likely be better than ours. Therefore, it is very possible that they will educate us on how to coexist with AI. As a new dad, I will teach my children: 1. Do not rely on popular university subjects, because the world will change very quickly. 2. Have the ability to recognize the essence of things and be accustomed to using first principles to think about things. 3. Asking questions: as asking the right questions is more important than answering them. 4. Learning to do things by hand: such as handmade art, cooking, and gardening.
Kane
Launching soon!
@dot_brand Lately, I've realized that being able to ask the right questions is more crucial than solving problems like never before.
Sayon lensan
As an AI is more powerful than kinds education are first one, "What kind use AI ?" Than other education is given. https://myappforpc.com/app/91506...
David Gradon
I think we have a responsibility to teach best use of AI and not pretending it doesn’t exist - whilst at the same time, ensuring that it doesn’t make people lazy and doesn’t stop kids developing key skills
Jordan Shlosberg
Lets look at the opportunity as opposed to the risk. We can pull information on demand with high accuracy and some skills no longer need to be tough. The trick is to think about what the next logical step of human productivity actually is
Greg ⚡️ Join The ChatGPT Post newsletter
Offline education will feel like a luxury pretty soon...
Richard Gao
I think a lot of it is just letting them play around with stuff like ChatGPT. It already has extensive filtering on, so you won't have to worry about anything inappropriate like they might find on youtube or Google. For image gen, they can try out evoke-app.com, though it does require an API to call at the moment.
Hello_Joy
How to learn to use AI more sophisticated and deeper...and I need it too. haha
Youcef El Kamel
I think we will have to explain them and show them what it is. Like fire it's tool but it's can be dangerous.
Dr Doomain
I think first we have to educate ourselves about it more. Which is not easy as it changes so rapidly.
ALEXIA
As a retired mental health therapist who worked with children and teens, I have concerns with ai. Depending on a machine for learning is just that; their brain will be wired around learning with ai. Critical thinking is being redefined to critical prompts with ai. Our brains don’t fully develop until 26yo. Uncharted territory. Lots to consider.
Kane
Launching soon!
@alexia_georghiou It's totally unknown. Who knows how it'll be like for them growing up with AI by their side?
Ahmed M. Hussien
, it is crucial to educate kids about its capabilities and limitations. They should learn about AI's potential benefits and risks, including its impact on society, ethics, and privacy. Additionally, they should develop critical thinking skills and be encouraged to ask questions, challenge assumptions, and evaluate information to make informed decisions about AI.
Vlad Zivkovic
I think the biggest problem is that basic education is becoming obsolete and it doesn't implement the new technologies as we progress as a humanity, by the time our kids get to the college or university, everything they learned might be a time waste. Education should follow along with the new technologies and help kids get along and be prepared for the AI future as early as possible.
Moon
As AI becomes more powerful, it's important that we educate kids about its potential benefits and risks. Here are some ways we can do that: 1.Teach them the basics: Start by teaching kids the basics of how AI works, including machine learning and natural language processing. 2. Foster critical thinking skills: Encourage kids to question the accuracy and biases of AI systems, and to think critically about how they are being used. 3. Emphasize ethics: Teach kids about the ethical considerations around AI, including issues like privacy, bias, and accountability. 4. Encourage creativity: Encourage kids to explore the creative potential of AI, such as using it to create art or music. 5. Provide real-world examples: Use real-world examples of AI in action to help kids understand how it is being used in various industries and contexts.
They should be educated about the capabilities, benefits, but also risks of AI. Especially about privacy concerns.
Kane
Launching soon!
Wow, those 3 days of discussion were amazing! I summarized 32 replies using ChatGPT, and it gave me 5 key words: critical thinking, ethics, creativity, adaptability, and handmade skills.