How often do you utilise your meeting recordings?

Ankur Mandal
5 replies
In my day to day business operations in marketing, I participate in 3-4 meetings daily, on average, with each meeting generally being recorded by me or the host. Using Teams or WebEx, usually, I get access to these recordings, yet hardly, ever rewatch any of them. How often do you spend your time rewatching or utilising these recordings? Or does it just stay there as a backup source for when things might skip your mind. Please do share your inputs considering your work utilisation and help us get insights on what tools do you utilise to make this process more seamless.

Replies

Ana
Working in Sales/Marketing I have a ton of meetings, both internally and with customers/contractors on the side. I went through stages of different methods of keeping information organized from every meeting and here is what I am working with now: 1. Internal meetings - no recording (audio/video). Typing up bullet points on the discussion as we go through the meeting in a dedicated Notion page I created. * One exception though - I record every 1:1 meeting I have with HR, just a habit I developed over the years (same with all the job interviews I attend), but rarely listen to those again. 2. Contractor meetings - recording 50% of the time (only the conversations where I bring up sensitive issues like contracts, pricing etc.). + always typing up anything I need in my Notion as we talk. * Must say though, I do not really listen to the recordings, simply keep them for legal purposes if need be. 3. Customer calls - recording by default. I do end up revisiting some of the recordings, if the details are a bit foggy in my memory or I want to make sure I got their point correctly. Bottom line - I record on my phone (built-in function with Samsung Galaxy phones in Korea), only listen to about 30% of total recordings I make. For video calls I use Google Meet and almost never record those. Otherwise, it's all in my Notion with dedicated meeting minutes page. P.S. I know of TTS apps and such targeted at this area but have not felt the need to utilize one so far.
Ankur Mandal
@mynameisana Thank you for the detailed response. I definitely liked the way you are using Notion, not only for quick notes, but also it's something that can help team-mates collaborate on the Notion board. It is something I think I can introduce in my team to have everyone on board with any meeting notes, task assignments or status updates. HR calls, Customer or Contractor calls are also something I would like to take note on. Its interesting how the function of our recordings change with the business context. On the recent tech front, its interesting to see various players come up with speech to text or transcription capabilities, which simply converts your recordings to simple text files, for seamless consumption, but I am still to verify the accuracy and completeness of such solutions. In the end of the day, I think its imperative that such tools don't take extra time share, and rather simply integrate with my ecosystem to enable any insights and better productivity.
Iris Park
I usually record when I'm learning a process, or when I'm taking a phone call that is important or has complicated details. I almost never listen again, and I felt pressured at first bout that. But I realized that I'm recording "just in case." I only need to listen to it when I feel the need. The point is that I should be concentrating on the contents in the first place, so I barely need the recordings. Personal thoughts, of course :)
Ankur Mandal
@iris_park Thanks for your input, and I totally relate to that. Recordings just keep collecting as a backup resource. I have seen, however, with any heavy duty meetings, I get in the dichotomy of concentrating as well as taking notes. That's somewhere I think the recordings come in handy to me.
Iris Park
@ankur_mandal1 Hi! That's a really good point. There is definitely the point where taking notes actually disturb concentrating. Totally agree that recordings are handy :D