How I got my first 50 customers?

Mavlonbek Muratov
2 replies
The journey of a startup founder is one hell of a rollercoaster ride. Everyone has their unique stories of how they got started. In this short article, I would like to tell how I got my first 50 customers. Once I developed the initial version of my product, I looked for various subgroups who could potentially use my product. You can find them on Reddit, Facebook, etc. Once you find that group, write meaningful content that they can probably find useful. (Hint: this content may or may not be one of them). In my case, I also built free tools for such groups. For example, I built a free cover letter writer for a job and shared it in many student groups. People loved it and shared it. I still have that tool and get consistent website traffic from that. Once people saw how it worked, they started to sign up for the paid version of the product. I also used Linked In for weekly updates. Every week I update about my metrics, growth numbers, and what features I launched during the week. It was very useful for me as I got lots of traffic from Linked In. I don’t have to tell this, but the ProductHunt launch also massively helps to get first users. One last thing, make you add a “How did you hear about us?” field on your signup page and make it required. Otherwise, you won’t know how you are acquiring the users. This is what I did to get the first 50 users. Moving forward I am spending most of my time creating text and video content to grow my startup. I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to AMA. P.S. This post is written using https://researchai.co

Replies

Pierre Kraus
Thanks for sharing, getting your first paying customers is a big milestone! "make you add a “How did you hear about us?” field on your signup page and make it required.", great piece of advice. How would you compare the impact of non-scalable & scalable actions to acquire your first paying customers?
Alina Ihnatiuk
Thank you very much for the information and personal experience!