How do you test your app before you release?

Andras Szabo
19 replies
Manually? Or do you use any tool to automate the testing?

Replies

Ms khan
If you test your app yourself, you can see if something needs to be fixed but you won't get more opinions about your product
Ruben Wolff
If you test your app yourself, you can see if something needs to be fixed but you won't get more opinions about your product. I'd recommend to gather beta testers instead (either through a mailing list or through a query on the social media you and your community are using)
Andras Szabo
@rubenwolff Thanks for the answer. But how do you test the existing features when you deploy a new version of your app? Let's say your app has 10-15 core features. Do you test them manually every time when you're about to release?
Chandramouli Dorai
Hi Andras! We generally list down top 20-30 - key features (depending on the product) and test them manually before every release. When we could afford more resources - we went with automated testing. However, manual testing is still mandatory after every minor/major release.
Andras Szabo
@chandru19902008 Thanks for your answer. Why do you still test features manually?
Chandramouli Dorai
@nomoreconfig : To check the newly added UI text and design changes. I work for a security product (password manager) and should be double sure always :)
Devon Ray
Hi Andras. A combination of both automated and manual testing would be your best bet. Depending on the language and framework you are using there should be an automated testing library that can help reduce bugs across releases. Always test new features manually as well, and then throw in a full system test to be sure. A good thing to do is keep a checklist of all the thinks you've tested, then you can run through and retest before each release and make sure you've not forgotten anything.
Andras Szabo
@devon_ray Thanks. I agree. What tools do you use to automate the testing?
Alice Rodgers
We have a couple of in-house QA, + everyone from the team goes the whole user's flow and makes feedback.
Alice Rodgers
And Friends and family of course. It is important to test on different devices, different browsers, location etc
Andras Szabo
@cn__katie Thanks for your answer. How often do you release a new version?
Alice Rodgers
@nomoreconfig honestly speaking we are now preparing for our first release. I guess, the following releases will be easier and faster to prepare to (:
Gleb Braverman
We do both automated testing and manual QA
Andras Szabo
@gleb_braverman Thanks for your answer. How do you combine manual and automated testing?
Andras Szabo
@gleb_braverman What tools does the dev team use for automated testing?
Tasnuva Ashraf Umama
Get your friends post their feedback on a Facebook Private group. This can get a very helpful ecosystem going.