How do you talk to your users?

Mayank Mishra
14 replies
We all have heard the advice "Talk to your Users" and most of us try to do so but we struggle to do it the right way. Talking to customers is an art and it is more important than ever to stay close to your users. Opening up the discussion for the community to share their best practices on "Talking to Users/Customers"

Replies

Samir Moussa
I typically use The Mom Test. Don't talk about solutions and don't ask for solutions. Talk about their past, not the future. Talk about their struggles, experiences, pain points, etc. Talk less and listen more. Have 20 conversations with one type of customer, rather than 1 conversation with 20 types. Dig deep to uncover the root problem. That will change what you build.
Mayank Mishra
@samir_moussa thanks for suggesting Mom's test
Keren Brickman
@samir_moussa Love the idea of the Mom Test. I actually still run ideas and phrasing by my mom to make sure I'm speaking on the right level for certain situations :)
Alina Ihnatiuk
Hey! The basic rule is culture. Even if the other side is wrong, it is important to stay calm and politely close the conversation ... If work allows you - communicate with users online, correspondence, tests ...
Stefan Morris
Not using all caps for starters ;) I agree the previous posts - start by listening. Also approach conversations as a collaboration - users often have something of value to add even if it does not appear so on the surface.
Anil Meena
Hey @mishra_mayank In addition to what @samir_moussa has mentioned, I'd say building a relationship with them where they feel comfortable to be talking about the core of the problem and looking to work with you not as a customer but with the intent to build something greater. This is especially good for the early customers.
Mayank Mishra
@samir_moussa @anil_meena21 yes, This advice is quite helpful, I'm trying to do so with our early customers :) ty!
Alexey Shashkov
I use these tips by Eric Migicovsky: https://www.producthunt.com/discussions/eric-migicovsky-how-to-talk-to-users-summary My goal of user interviews – is to extract information from the person that I'm talking to. To extract data that will help me improve the product or improve my marketing or improve my positioning. My core questions: 1. What's the most challenging part for you about building a landing page? 2. Can you tell me about the last time you encountered that problem? 3. Why was that hard? 4. What have you done to try to solve the problem? 5. What don't you love about the solutions you've already tried?
Goutham
I always ensure that I try to find the customer pain points rather than getting carried away by appreciation. As entrepreneurs, it's common that we want to hear things which we'd like to hear but a well thought out critique is as valuable as gold. What a customer says and does are also quite different. So I try to make a customer try out my product and get an overview of what worked & what didn't.
Keren Brickman
Hey Mayank, I've typically found that if I can get face to face with a user it usually ends up better than cold emails or standard text based messages. If you want you can check out my tool (plug for our Ship page too https://www.producthunt.com/upco...) We allow you speak directly to customers through video audio or text with interactive videos you can place on site or in app. Would love to know if you feel this solves a pain point for you.
Daniil Glezer
Mostly I'm trying to do it with a smile😅😅
Keren Brickman
@daniilgdg Can be really scary! But I love the positivity