How do you stop the afternoon crash? 💤

Maddie Lee
44 replies
I'm a morning person so I feel most energetic and productive before lunch. After lunch I don't feel anywhere near as motivated or creative. What are your strategies to spread that productive goodness throughout the day? Open to chatting about it!

Replies

Richard Fang
I've been trying to do stretching and a bit of exercise but otherwise i'd head over to a local cafe and do some work from them 😊
Maddie Lee
@richardfliu I miss that so much! We're still in lockdown where I am :)
Benoit Chambon
Take a longer mid-day break (with running, yoga or other sport activity), only do low-value tasks during the beginning of the afternoon, and you might be more productive at the end of the day
Maddie Lee
@benoit_chambon good advice. I tend to work through lunch (terrible habit) so adding in a small workout or some form of exercise (I like my AM workouts best) in the afternoons sounds like a great idea. I also appreciate your understanding that getting a second wave later in the afternoon is possible!
Shiloh Johnson
Definitely get outside for a walk or even just to sit in the sun. If that's not an option, I like to do something unrelated to work like a quick clean, making a cup of tea, or reading a few pages in a book - doing something not work-related feels like it resets and refreshes my mind (plus, people come up with some of the best work-related ideas when not working!)
Maddie Lee
@shilohjohnson you're 100% right! I think most of my afternoon crash could be related to not taking breaks, especially from the screen. I have a standing desk which helps, but still not a break and still staring at a screen. Thank you!
Shiloh Johnson
@shesmaddie Absolutely - screen breaks are great! I use an app that covers my screen and reminds me to look away from the monitor regularly - I think that helps a lot, too!
Maddie Lee
@shilohjohnson that is SO smart! Could you link it to me when you have a second?
Shiloh Johnson
@shesmaddie Absolutely - Time Out on the App store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ti... and I know there was a windows equivalent at one point - if I come across the name I'll send it your way!
Maddie Lee
@shilohjohnson thanks so much!! This is great, definitely need to schedule in breaks, too easy to keep pushing it back and then crashing later.
Rashika Ahuja
I tackle it with a spoon of Nutella :D
Jan Mazurek
I agree with @rashikaahuja - bust of sugar is something that makes brain work faster and better. I eat anything that is extra sweet
Maddie Lee
@rashikaahuja @jan_mazurek XD love it! I'm usually craving something sweet in the afternoon but sometimes it can be a downward spiral.
Rashika Ahuja
@shesmaddie Hahaha, and then by the evening, you end by ordering some donuts and a nice cup of coffee :D
Baptiste N
Having lunch early (12:00) and try to don't eat much, so I can do sports from 13:00 to 14:00. Then at 14:30, I'm getting back to work! This 2,5 hours break really makes me productive the whole day!
Maddie Lee
@baptiste_ncls thanks for sharing I really appreciate hearing what others are doing! My previous roles wouldn't have allowed for such a long break during the day (regardless of how many hours I was actually putting in) but now I think that fitting in a mid-day workout would be more than possible.
Christian Heine
I'm also a morning person, so I hear you. I tried a lot of different methods to stay productive, but the most effective tools have been very basic ones. For me, a healthy breakfast and keeping lunch rather light help a lot. Also, drinking enough throughout the day. And getting "good" sleep. Finally, regular exercise.
Maddie Lee
@christianheine morning people unite! Question, what's a healthy breakfast for you and what's a light lunch?
Liza Karelina
Nap 15 minutes often really helps! and also some physical activity
Maddie Lee
@elizaveta_k sounds like physical activity is a winner on this thread. What do you normally do?
Nika Shikh
Stretching or/and 20 mins power nap :)
Cynthia porter
I feel the same way after my Lunch. So I walk around a bit and then grab a cup of coffee to continue
Ali Alsayed
What I do in order: 1. Good healthy breakfast 2. Just a single shot of espresso. Otherwise I'll crash after a couple of hours if I have more. 3. A lot of water until Launch 4. Light lunch (easy on the carbs) 5. Back to work
Maddie Lee
@ali_alsayed I'm a big fan of espresso, I definitely see a difference vs drip coffee. Since starting this conversation I've been much more mindful on what I eat for lunch and cutting out carbs is a big part of that. Thanks for your input!
Ronak Jain
I try to schedule all my calls/meetings in the afternoon immediately post lunch, that way my brain has no option but to just focus.
Maddie Lee
@ronak_jain smart!! Only works though for me if I need to talk. If I'm meant to just listen it's going to be a nap XD
Sarah Jordi
@ronak_jain woah, I do the opposite :D Prefer calls in the morning because I know I can't focus as well in the afternoon. :D Unless I can do the calls during walks. That's a game changer for me. :D But maybe I should try your approach.
Maddie Lee
@ronak_jain @sarahxjo YES +1 to walking calls! Another thing that helps is my standing desk. Hard to fall asleep when you're standing :) so I try to take calls in the afternoon standing up.
Ronak Jain
@sarahxjo Mornings are generally for productive work. Afternoon is generally for things which I dread to do and post lunch is ideal for that :D
Sarah Jordi
@ronak_jain I guess you're right. :D I'm in the middle of an afternoon crash right now... And I don't even want to go for a walk as it is incredibly cold outside :D Ugh. Need to get over it.
Alexa Vovchenko
- I drink more fresh water, it really works better than coffee and tea. - meditate for 5-10 min, or lay on the sofa and listen to the sounds of ocean/rain. - do stretching/go for a walk with the dog
Maddie Lee
@aleksandra_vovchenko water is SO important! I feel like I drink a lot but maybe not enough to counter balance the coffee :) Meditation for me is great when I'm overwhelmed but not always an energizer. I actually just forced myself to go for a quick walk and it really helped. I've been productive all afternoon. It helps having a dog to make you accountable for mid-day walks! :)
Vio Vanica
I totally hear you. I am replying right now after a power nap. I found them very helpful, especially if I wake up early in the morning. It sort of splits my working day in half. Have you tried it before?
Maddie Lee
@viorica_vanica I used to be such a fan of napping, but I haven't power napped since I started working remotely! I'm afraid it will become too much of a habit - but as long as it's short and works for you I think it's a good idea! I should try it again.
Coffee. Music. A walk.
Maddie Lee
@gabe__perez actually music is such a hack. So good to have a pump up playlist for sluggish afternoons or need to get through some particularly boring work XD
Sarah Jordi
I'm team "break". I usually need a quick walk, coffee break or actually go on a proper run or gym session. If I can have that 15min - 60min break in the afternoon, I will be MUCH more productive afterwards. But I feel like it is still hard to actually do it, just because of the stigma that comes with longer breaks during the day. There's always someone judging you 😬
Maddie Lee
@sarahxjo +100!! There is such a stigma around breaks during the day. I've never worked at a place where people would leave their desks at lunch. I think that's partly why I haven't been taking breaks during the day, I'm terrified someone will call or message me and find out I'm - gasp - taking a quick lunch break. We need to normalize the lunch break again. Or some kind of mid-day break to let your brain, eyes, and body reset.
Sarah Jordi
@shesmaddie Yea absolutely! Lunch is something I do now. I never did, some years ago, but then I worked at a quite traditional agency for a year and they always did proper lunch breaks. So even after leaving, that's something I kept doing (mostly). But you know, if you have a low energy moment, it can be so useful to maybe go on a 30-60min walk and maybe listen to a work related podcast (I like to listen to podcast about startups, branding, marketing etc) and that, to me, feels like taking a break, but at the same time I still learn something that's valuable to my job and company. And when I get back, I'm energized again.
Maddie Lee
@sarahxjo That's a really smart strategy! Just went on a great walk but it wasn't enough. Maybe I was missing a work podcast. I will definitely keep this tip in mind!