How do you show your team they're cared for?

Evan Stewart
13 replies
What are some special things you do to take care of your team?

Replies

Onindo Ahmed
I talk to them, have fun with them, give them pizza treats occasionally!
Evan Stewart
One of the processes we use, is to have an in-depth onboarding process; learning about important events in an employees life, the things they care about, and other associated information. From there, our Chief People Officer is able to direct custom gifts, calls, and ensure the team member knows they're seen, known, and cared for. When was the last time your company gave you some boutique treats and a Foggy Dog scarf for your puppy's birthday, for example? 🐶
Nick Hutton
I think one of the most simple, yet best solutions is doing exactly what you say you're going to do. Integrity is probably the most important ingredient in making a great culture at your workplace. For example, if you say that hours are flexible and work/life balance is really important, then you can't judge people for doing some shopping at 2pm. I think in the long-run, you build trust by doing this and get so much more benefit.
Evan Stewart
@nick_hutton This is a great perspective, thank you for sharing. I completely agree; the actions of the company in the long-term will speak louder than the expectations set in onboarding. In your experience, how have you protected these expectations through insuring your company lives up to that high standard of integrity?
Nick Hutton
@evst one example is that we keep a log of all the stuff-ups we make, with a lesson alongside it. I always make sure I'm leading the charge on the 'stuff-ups' so that everyone knows it is completely fine to make mistakes, as long as there is a lesson to it. We also look at each others time-boxed schedules for the week and try and make comments if there's an issue with any of it before the week starts. So if an employee has blocked out 2-4pm on a Tuesday afternoon to be with the children, we'll completely respect this and make sure they aren't bothered in this time - so long as we've agreed on it. It is a difficult area and always looking for other ways to get it across too!
Evan Stewart
@nick_hutton And yet so powerful; thank you for sharing! My biggest takeaway from this breakdown was the simple respect for another person's blocked time. I've always believed that time at home is just as––if not more––important than time in the office, but not many people share that same sediment. How has your team responded to this effort? Positive response I assume?
Nick Hutton
@evst Yep, agreed it's very much a respect thing. If you preach flexible working hours, then you have to respect that. The positive is that it will feel completely natural to get people to do things at 11pm (if that's what's been agreed).
ali ata
@evst Dear Evan, I care them a lot. I help them nearly every situations. For example if I get a sad vibe from my any team member, I text her/him, like "Are you OK?, Can I help you?" Maybe It is so simple act but it's effects aren't simple. In the digital world most of the people feel invisible. I think simply the best thing we can do to show them we care them. That's my suggestion dear Evan, I hope it's inspiring for you<3
Evan Stewart
@ali_ata Showing people they are known as individuals and seen for more than their current circumstances is a powerful, powerful thing. Great thoughts, Ali!