How do you overcome imposter syndrome?

Angeline Tan
6 replies
When you don't know a line of code and hope to get up to speed with coding. When you're not technical but hope to hang with the kool kids of software dev and such. When you're fascinated with tech and innovation and believe that to be the future and don't wanna be outta the loop.

Replies

Edita Dermontaité
I think we all have imposter syndrome, some more than the others. My motto is "just do it", nobody were born knowing and everyone had to start somewhere.
Angeline Tan
@edita I agree. On a live TwitterSpace right now with several dev guys, some are seasoned YouTubers and many shared their initial inhibitions be it their accents, lack of fluency in the English language, or beginner journey in dev - they took the first step, made the first YouTube, and before long, they have an arsenal of content under their belt. I'm so encouraged by that! :)
Angeline Tan
This is me asking for me :)
Dimitris Karavias
Spend some time with developers and you'll realise that most of the time most of them don't know most of what they're talking about- and it's normal. Development starts with someone knowing 10% of the solution and figuring out 90% along the way. More importantly don't sweat about your perceived weakness. Community building is much bigger than coding in this decade. Nocode+community building can take you far (read about Makerpad's acquisition). You can still try some coding for fun and if you like it, awesome, you gained a skill. But it's just another means to an end. Don't sweat about being one of the dev bros, not worth it.
Angeline Tan
@dkaravias May I just applaud you on your terrific articulation and concise delivery of your thoughts. Not trying to pump your ego here but every single word and line you made here is gold - and speaks so strongly to me, and I'm sure, to anyone reading. That most people don't know what they're talking about, that development is 10% knowing and 90% figuring out, not to sweat our perceived weakness and that community building is much bigger than coding. You're a gem, Dimitris. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and encouragement :)
Dimitris Karavias
@angelinetan A manager, mentor, & eventual friend told me during a one to one "So you feel impostor syndrome sometimes? I feel impostor syndrome every day!". That's when I realised we're all surrounded by people in the same state of mind. Your reply made me realise that maybe now I'm the one sharing that knowledge and I smiled.