How do you manage to keep yourself focused throughout the day? Share your habits and favourite tools

Martina Hackbartt
19 replies
Hi Hunters! Today I wanted to ask you about your tips & tricks (which can include tools but also habits) on how to keep a consistent workflow and focus. As for me, when I feel like I'm losing focus; I usually take a 10-minute break to make myself coffee. Also, and since I'm more productive in the mornings, I usually leave the short and easy tasks for the afternoon. Tools-wise, I use ReSkript (of course), notion and Asana for task management. Hope you are having a great beginning of the week! Mondays can be painful but to me, they also represent a whole new opportunity :)

Replies

Rachel Levitz
I think by understanding the bigger picture of what your doing (and assuming you do enjoy that), you understand the value of the "annoying tasks" and their importance. For me once all the pieces of the puzzle connect, I can be productive and enjoy the most menial work!
Ender
I don’t stay focused throughout the day. I do things that are interesting and that I care about. This has worked for me for a surprisingly long time. To go in to more detail: I generally refuse to take up responsibilities that I don’t find fun. When I first began conducting research at my university, I negotiated with my supervisor to make sure I was doing what I really want. I only do fun things. To keep track of tasks, sometimes I make a simple todo list in the Notes app or Notion (the “Quick Notes”) template. I don’t consider myself productive. Productivity culture makes me sad.
Mahak from Outgrow
@enderm True I also think productivity is not something that should define our days. I also just set the priorities and do them. And if I feel that it's not working I just leave them and do something that I like like having a walk and listening to music for an hour. This is what productivity is for me and keep me focus on my present.
Keren Brickman
@enderm Productivity culture making you sad really resonates with me, I don't love the idea of being defined by how many things I can complete in a day. It feels really different than working hard at something I care about.
Martina Hackbartt
@enderm Hi Ender! Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, they gave me some things to think about :) I agree with you in that productivity culture can be quite toxic and negative in the long term.
Shitiz Dogra
In my quest with #mindfulness, I found an app that has Ad-free soothing meditation music that plays in the background as I concentrate on my breathing in peace and work with full concentration. It totally works. I also, use relaxation music to take 5-minute work breaks to unwind. You can try the app here - https://rgmdt.onelink.me/ghSM/8b...
Martina Hackbartt
@djogy Hey there Shitiz! Thank you very much for sharing, I'll definitely try relaxation music on my breaks :)
Samantha Becker
@djogy @martina_hackbartt thanks for sharing! I’ll check this out
Edward Boardman
Concentration of attention can come only when you have said 'yes' to one possibility and 'no' to all the others. In other words, elimination is a prerequisite for concentration. As Tim Ferriss says, 'What you don't do determines what you can do.' https://thetermpapers.org/colleg...
Martina Hackbartt
@edward_boardman Hi, Edward! You're completely right, priorization is sooo important. Thank you for sharing!
Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
Great discussion! Personally, listening to music, taking short breaks, and switching between tasks help :)
Martina Hackbartt
@lior_galante_cohen Hi Lior! Thank you for joining :) Absolutely agree with you, I do the same things. Have a great day!
Андрей Олейник
I recently understood that I`m easily distracted so I put away my phone and other disturbing things and work. In the case of organizing the working process, I`m using Weje. It helps to collect all thoughts.
R Thiru
In WFH, fill the calendar with tasks, automatically focus can be improved. As a Product Manager, before kick starting the work, will make sure not more than 5 meetings are scheduled each one not crossing 30 minutes. Rest of 3-4 hours will fill calendar with tasks so that anyone pulls me for any meeting event I wouldn't be available.
Angi Bowman
My workflow is based on my focus. For my power hours (9-11 A, 1-3 P), I plow through the higher priority projects. These are the projects that take the most effort and brain power to get done. For the lower energy hours, I turn to the creative side. I let my focus slide a bit and turn to things that are more on the fun side. I think for me that key is to give yourself grace to not be "on" 100% of the time. If my brain is fried, I don't push it. Some days, that even means leaving work 30 minutes early because there is nothing left.
Martina Hackbartt
@lucky__angi Hey Angi! Love this idea of listening to your needs and rhythm. Thank you very much for sharing
Nishith from True Sparrow
Pomodoro technique has helped me stay focussed. I do 25 minute sprint and then 5 minute break. Also, that reminds me to get up from my chair. :)
Nidhin
For me, to remain focused, I need to channel undivided attention to the task I am attending. This also means shutting down all other distractions Whatsapp/Linkedin/Twitter etc. However tackling FOMO can be a challenge. www.whatsresponse.com www.producthunt.com/posts/whatsr... Whatsresponse is a tool which has helped me to automate Whatsapp chats to a certain extent, while I mute WhatsApp to focus on priority tasks.