How do you handle family & work balance?

David Choe
9 replies
Being a founder requires nearly all of your mental energy and physical time. How do you stay connected with friends and family, and maintain and even develop healthy relationships? During the pandemic, my wife and I started doing daily hour-long walks and it's fundamentally changed our relationships. What's worked for you?

Replies

Aidas Bendoraitis
I have a family with 2 small kids, my main job from which I live, and a newly bootstrapped startup. A lot of caffeine is consumed to stay focused. I work at my main job 4 days per week, from home. During those days, I spend 2-3 hours per day with my family. Whenever I have energy, I try to spend some time on my startup too. On weekends, I spend much time on my startup and more hours with my family. I meet other friends only several times in 2 months. I wouldn't call my life well-balanced, but that's how it is at the moment. Hopefully, one day I will have more financial freedom to get back to a more social life. But the beginning is challenging.
David Choe
@djangotricks Thanks for sharing. It's challenging to think about the strain caused on friendships bc of the work involved. Imo the only way forward is belief in both the strength of my friendships and the business working.
Gaby Sankovich
This issue is complex as my staff works remotely ALL the time, since before COVID and the challenge is always to make sure to step away from the work and set clear boundaries between the 2. For instance, I try to keep the same work hours and let the family know when it changes to allow them the chance to wok around it.
David Choe
@gaby_sankovich "mandating" those clear boundaries is very challenging and I believe takes a very intentional and long-term mindset. Kudos to you.
Gaby Sankovich
@david_choe2 "mandating" would be a huge leadership error... Each team member needs to find his/her groove. My role is to suggest healthy ways of balancing and leading by example. I offer flexible schedules and I am very cool about personal life being a priority. It is amazing how dedicated my team is when I let them be masters of their own time.
Side Hustle Swipe
It's a struggle but realizing that there will be ebbs and flows in your productivity is important. Feeling guilt about spending time with family or on your business isn't healthy for either of them.
David Choe
@sidehustleswipe Agreed. I think the biggest thing is communication. It's so easy to assume that we're hurting the relationship with our work when we may not be or or that the relationship is fine when it's not. really getting it out there is the key I believe.
Deman Terry
This is a huge challenge. It's not just about everyone. Somehow, something goes smoothly, but it's really a big challenge.
David Choe
@rxmedsondemand That's true. The balance is extremely hard to strike. I think the question came from the thought of "who'll be by my side at the other end of my endeavor?"