How do you get up to speed with work after a 2-week break?

Rucha Joshi
20 replies
I was on a vacation and just got back to multiple important slack messages, emails, updates and notifications from communities channels. Any pointers on how best to get on top of it?

Replies

Daniela Braniste
There's no easy way to get back on track to be honest. My strategy is to increase my catching up gradually. On my first day, I try to clean up my internal messaging channels, I don't go in-depth in the messages but rather read diagonally, to make sure there wasn't anything important, on top of that, I take customer calls if there are any, but I pay close attention to not overload myself with customer calls (they shouldn't take more than 40% of my time that day). If I still have time on the first day, then I start going through my email, starting with the very first email that I've received in this timeframe. The second day, I start with the email, my target is usually to dedicate around half of my day to email and the other half, between calls and internal meetings. With this strategy, it usually takes 3 to 4 days to recover, if you don't, don't push yourself. You'll get there and everything will be fine.
Rucha Joshi
@daniela_braniste Thank you Daniela for sharing in such detail. This is very helpful. What are you currently working on?
Going to be in the same position just 4 weeks instead!
Rucha Joshi
@maxwellcdavis Wow and how are you planning for that ?
@rucha_joshi8 Well I haven't totally switched off so hoping that that'll help me - I'll be jet lagged too so might be tough!
Martina Hackbartt
Hi Rucha! I'd say just take it easy and focus. Don't try to catch up that fast, but make yourself the time to do it step by step (avoiding distractions) and in a few days you'll be up to date.
Rucha Joshi
@martina_hackbartt Thanks, I shall try to be more patient with this task. have you taken a long break off late?
Martina Hackbartt
@rucha_joshi8 Not in a while, to be honest. I took a week off a few months ago and it was already difficult to catch up; so I imagine 2 weeks to be a lot harder! Hope you get there soon :)
Rucha Joshi
@mariam_malkhasian That's the plan. When was the last time you took a longer break - was it pre pandemic?
Ana Dodig
You should surround yourself with the same activities as before. Try to relax and to take things step by step.
Rucha Joshi
Thanks @dodig_ana :) Trying to do that. How long did you take to be on top of it all when you last took break?
Ana Dodig
@rucha_joshi8 it's definitely heavy task, especially after long break. Last time that I took that kind of break was this summer, and it took me almost one week to get back on track.
Kyleigh Ansley
This cutoff concentrates nicely for us, favor your heart! Going toward an essentially indistinguishable issue here. Help is respected. mcdvoice
kirill vini
After resting, to get back to work, I try to load myself up to the fullest to get used to it faster. [url=https://mercteil.com/g-800-brabu...]
Rucha Joshi
@kirill_vini Got it, that's one way to go about it!
Pablo Palmitas
I would say the key to doing it properly is to take time to get back and not getting yourself overwhelmed with all the tasks and messages. Start slow and increase the pace gradually. At least, it always works for me this way
Rucha Joshi
@pablo_palmitas Yes, that's what I have been hearing as well. What are you currently working on?
Pablo Palmitas
@rucha_joshi8 I'm now all-in launching ZERO ID, a new app. So an increased workload and almost no free time :)
Style and Trends
I'd take it easy. Just like how you need to take it slow when coming back to the gym after a long break, the same concept apply to work in my opinion.