How do you get motivated or stay motivated when project takes too long to pickup some tranctions

Promise Emeka
17 replies
How do founders and co-founders stay motivated when their startup takes too long to pick up some good traction? or show signs of success.

Replies

Tobias Gray
For me motivation has its peaks and troughs but if you genuinely believe in your project, either that it adds something or does something better than the rest the peaks should keep coming back eventually. An actual tip is try getting a user to do a user research session on the project. A good in depth perspective from another person can help you see your product in a new light.
Promise Emeka
@tobiasgray thanks a lot.I like the tip...
Promise Emeka
@tobiasgray Hi Tobias, can you do a little research session on Fexspace? a good place to start will be https://app.fexspace.com/explore. Fexspace is where the world collaborate and share. Collaborate on Files, Projects, Events and Articles. You can help when you have a moment.
Tobias Gray
@promise_emeka yea sure why not I can spare a little time to help out. How do you want to go about it? I can create an account and have a play for a bit and send you some feedback, or you want to setup a call and have me go through a scenario and quiz me on my thoughts as I go through it? If it's the former let me know a contact email I can send my thoughts to and if its a call/session drop me an email to organise something (tobias@microvist.com).
Promise Emeka
@microvist @tobiasgray thanks @tobiasgray. I think you should create a free account here app.fexspace.com/explore play around it and then we can get on call. I will drop a mail as well. Many thanks.
Bilal Chaglani
Break your goals into short term and long term goals. If good traction is bound to take time, keep that as your long term goal. Short term goals could be something that you have to complete today, this week or this month. But remember these short term goals should be leading you to your long term goal - directly or indirectly. Completing goals will always keep you motivated :)
Promise Emeka
@bilal_chaglani Oh, thanks Bilal. I like the idea of breaking my goals into short term goals, finishing and celebrating progress in phases is a good approach to achieving the long term success goals.
Richard Fang
Definitely swings up and downs. I think the most valuable lesson is to remember to celebrate the smallest wins with your team especially on.
Samir Rashed
I think try to empathize customers as much as they can
Shivam Ramphal
Create simple step by steps goals and complete them out, Feeling a higher appreciation and confidence in your work.
Promise Emeka
@shivam_ramphal Many thanks Shivam. Completing smaller goals and celebrating those progress is really a good approach that has helped me stay motivated.
Shivam Ramphal
@promise_emeka, exactly, everyone set high expectations on major goals, and if those goals failed or didn't happen the way they wanted to. That person will get even more depressed and unmotivated in their work from not working in the first place.
Pieter Limburg
Totally agree with @bilal_chaglani here. Adding to this, keep thinking about the problem you're solving. That's your best source of motivation. Somebody once said to me: "Fall in love with the problem, not necessarily the solution you see now".
Promise Emeka
@bilal_chaglani @pieterlimburg I like this tip. "Fall in love with the problem" Date the problem if possible... You see when you hang out with the problem so often you start seeing all possible perspectives. haha...