How do you deal with content overflow from so many communities?

Tsz Hoi Lee
14 replies
We all love community! That's why we're here. But then there are so many different communities, so many forums, so many slack groups. From time to time, there're amazing content appear. But it's time-consuming to check out all when you're building stuff. In the end, I faded out and no longer reading some of the group. Also why so many communities die. What's everyone's way to tackle this?

Replies

Shariq A
I didn't focus on communities when I was building my product. Now that the product is ready, I have the time to engage with others in the community and exchange ideas with them. If you want to be engaged with the community and build the product at the same time then you have to make a simple schedule and stick to it on a daily basis. Something as simple as: X number of hours to work on the product and Y number of hours to interact with the community
Tsz Hoi Lee
@shariq_a I'm actually amazed by how some people can keep building and also building in public. But simple scheduling sounds a way to go
MacLain Christie
@shariq_a Totally agree with this. I'm impressed by anyone who is able to do both. When I was in the building phase, it felt like building and being social were at complete ends of a spectrum.
Shariq A
@maclain_christie I think we should remind ourselves often that patience and discipline are necessary to save ourselves from work related stress and frustration.
Margarita Shvetsova
That's a great question, I sometimes wonder about that too... I don't have an answer unfortunately, but I would like to see what others have to say.
Tsz Hoi Lee
@margarita_s88 That's exactly what my co-workers are telling me haaa
MacLain Christie
I've just started experimenting with a CRM but for communities. That way I can more easily keep tabs on the communities I want to engage with. The next step is to schedule set times each day to do all my community catch up, reading, etc. I'm hoping that will help me with the 'mental-management' so I don't lose too much time to it, and don't get as overwhelmed.
Janinah
@maclain_christie that's what I do e.g. certain days I check certain communities. Other days I ignore them :)
Tsz Hoi Lee
@maclain_christie Curious on what's the amount of communities that you're engaging at?
MacLain Christie
@tszhoi_19 Not many right now but still exploring what's out there.
Victor David
I like to do some interaction in the morning with my coffee and maybe a bit in the evening, too. Like now. Schedule doesn't always work, though. For instance, when I'm on the road (like now) things get a little wacky.
Tsz Hoi Lee
@codemongo Also a reflection of mine routine. When I settle in the office I will open up some news like a16z, techcrunch. Also communities like PH to see any updates. But one thing is about time difference, I'm in Asia means I posts early and reply/ read late!
Fabian Maume
I'm using social fixer extension to monitor FB effectively: https://fabian-maume.medium.com/... I'm checking product hunt discussions once a day, in the middle of the afternoon to have a break. I'm checking LinkedIn feed quite often.
Rosie Sherry
Leave them. It's ok. Honestly. (Just like it's ok to unsubscribe from newsletters, you can choose to unsubscribe from communities). Choose a handful that you enjoy, consume and give back to the ones you appreciate the most. Remember communities need you too.