How do you build and grow a community with a small team?

Felix Exner
7 replies
I understand the financial dilemma for companies requiring building and growing a community for their products and only having a limited budget to hire talents in different departments. How are you balancing between securing finances, building a product, reaching out to new users, and managing the community aspect of your products?

Replies

Alina Ihnatiuk
Working independently and with a low budget is a waste of time ... Unfortunately, I believe that either you have to be a genius and replace all employees, or you need start-up capital (credit, debts)
For me it's just a long game. Keep going, create valuable content and share what you have. It take time.
Sofya Narbut
I think the main resource required is A LOT of time. Sometimes community-building affects other important tasks timing, but what use is a product when there are 0 users at launch? It's okay to not do it perfectly. Put all efforts into what works. Divide the responsibility between different team members if possible. I think 1 hour a day from two people can work wonders. Focus on a few channels and push it till you make it, consistently. Our team is yet to see the fruits of our labor, but small wins show what works and cheers us up.
Ira GI
I think you need to find partners to help you with your budget.
Tanoy Chowdhury
Many companies start a Slack community around a theme, and then keep posting useful content in it from time to time. The type of content can range from product updates, quizzes to AMA. Over time, as more people learn about the community, you can expect more participation in discussions.
Justine Peterson
As someone who has built a community of developers before and someone who is currently building another community I must say that it is challenging, but the reward is much higher from our community we are getting earl feedback on our product features and on the side of management we are having few of our employees especially from the marketing department to act as community managers. we started our community before the product was completely functional which brought too much pressure to the product and development teams but it gave us easy access to early users of our product.