How do plan your days/weeks with your team?

Pablo Fatas
22 replies
Every couple weeks at SigmaOS we do sprint plans to lay out the tasks for the next 2 weeks and every morning we do a standup to quickly go over what we did the day before and what we are doing today. Would love to hear what your thoughts on this is and what you use in your own teams :)

Replies

NotesbyHugh
I generally set quarterly - monthly - weekly - and daily goals. It ensures that the task I'm working on is laddering up to a specific strategic objective. The daily goals I usually prefer to set in bulk on a Sunday evening or Monday morning. I think any system needs to be personalised though! The above framework would work great in combination with your personal preferences.
NotesbyHugh
@pablo_fatas It's a great method! I'm actually working on a Notion template around this -- you're welcome to be a beta tester when the time comes if you're interested :)
Pablo Fatas
@hugh_dawkins I definitely not a one size fits all situation :) I feel like I would love to implement this kind of system in my personal life to achieve my personal goals
Pablo Fatas
@hugh_dawkins I see you are a Notion ambassador. Do you have some time to tell me about your experience. We are trying to set up an ambassador program and would love to hear what the process was like for you at Notion :)
Pablo Fatas
@hugh_dawkins Where would be the best place to contact you and set up a zoom call or something? :)
NotesbyHugh
@pablo_fatas for sure! Happy to provide input
Sergio Zaciu
We don't have daily standups. But we have weekly product sprints so that engineering, marketing, and product all know what everyone is doing for the next 7 days. Our team is usually divided between California and Europe, but now we're split between California, Europe, and Australia haha, so we try to limit meetings with more than 2 time zones.
Pablo Fatas
@szaciu I think daily group meetings for a company over time zones is unreasonable. We are a small team of 5 in an office so it is quite convenient 😊
Ivan Ralic
Launching soon!
In my previous startup we had daily standups and it was motivating to the whole team (20+ people). Because of the flexible worktimes our standup ended up being in the middle of the day 15 minutes before the food arrives. That way: ➜ We've limited the time for meeting ➜ People could continue discussions during the lunch Because it was a startup, most of the team members were entrepreneurial so the transparency with daily updates were motivating. That startup was acquired by a big Corp. In short, most of the team went remote, and the morale of daily standups disappeared. Developers not understanding the business side, business not understanding the dev struggles. Slack standup just doesn't work as good. So enjoy those standups as long as you can πŸ˜„
Pablo Fatas
@ralic Awesome thanks for the insight into the future 😊 Did you find it hard or long to have a standup with 20 people? How do you get 20 people talking for only 15 minutes? or was a lot of it running into lunch?
Ivan Ralic
Launching soon!
@pablo_fatas yeah, in the beginning we had daily standups at 9am in the morning, and back then meetings could last for as long as 45mins. That's why we firstly started with 30mins-till-lunch in the begining and moved it to 15mins-till-lunch later. It all happened naturally. Daily standup is only a short update and we were a startup so elevator pitch is important πŸ˜„ So for us food was the main motivator, a friend had his team in a "planking" standup, that's also a way to shorten it even more πŸ˜…
Pablo Fatas
@ralic Have definitely tried the plank stand up before, lots of fun. Do you guys do some kind of evening stand up? Because usually our standups include a little recap of the previous day and how that went. Which is why they might be a bit longer
Ivan Ralic
Launching soon!
@pablo_fatas no actually we've never tried an evening standup, that seems like an interesting idea πŸ˜„ Yet we have some team members arriving before 7am, so evening would soon turn to afternoon πŸ˜… Although having unofficial recaps I believe are extremely important. Before being incorporated and moved to a corpo facility we always had some beers and drinks in our office, so we had an unofficial weekly recaps on Friday evenings. Which looking back were really important for the team moral as well as understanding real pain-points team has during their work 😊
Paul VanZandt
We do two weekly meetings on Monday and Thursday mornings (we're split between SF and Europe) and we talk about weekly expectations, progress, and how that relates to our overall sprint goals.
Pablo Fatas
@paul_vanzandt I think it makes sense to have meeting less often especially in remote setting or when you have different time zones. We are a team of 5 in an office so it is quite easy to have daily meetings.
Paul VanZandt
@pablo_fatas I'm jealous, it must be nice working together every day!
Oliver Brandonson
Team planning is one of the most hectic thing for being but being the leader of township mod apk unlimited everything I always ready for different situation. We do monthly planning and at the start of the month we arrange a group meeting. In which all the members sharing the previous month record which they did. And after that according to the previous month we make the next month movement.
Pablo Fatas
@oliver_brandonson How big is your team and is it remote?
Arun Pariyar
We have a simple setup daily standup talking about what you have done and what you will be using the day for on a high level πŸ•΄ Specific discussions to follow up will be done based on if it's the relevant for whole team or talking directly to team involved setup up after the standup. β›“ All hands-on is organised as required ⛡️ We also encourage pair working even remotely ☎️ Async updates and comments on slack channel πŸ“ A Check-out drink every Friday before breaking into the weekend allows us to catch up with our whole team with a informal tone 🍻 My Personal Mantra, Communicate as early as possible πŸ‡
Pablo Fatas
@arunpariyar Very similar to our set up as well. Good to see similar teams 😊 We do a little friday retro as well.