How did your first interview go?

Marina ฤuriฤ‡
37 replies
One of my first interviews was for a student organization. I was around 17 at the time, and based on the description of the volunteers they were looking for, I was an excellent fit. Or so I thought... It was a three-phase process, and it all came down to the one-on-one interview. I answered all the questions confidently and constantly glorified my experience in the past and not focusing on the value I could provide to them. I got in. Until I became the recruiter later on in the journey, I realized if I were to interview myself like that, I would reject me instantly, haha. When going to interviews, prepare in advance, do your research on the company, prepare questions, assess yourself, and identify necessary learning experiences that will contribute to your role in the company. So how did your first interview go? Share experiences and tips & trick down below ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿผ

Replies

Malik Awais Iltaf
I gave it while I was in my graduation it went pretty well and I also got hired.
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@malikawaisiltaf That's great to hear! How did the job go later on, were you satisfied with the work conditions?
Shruti
I was 17 when I gave my first interview. I am sort of an introvert and find it difficult to open up and completely be myself but surprisingly I did well. I answered calmly and I remained composed throughout. Though I might have stammered a bit but it went well considering it was my first time
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@shruti_s I'm happy that you're satisfied and that the interview went well. Interviews are not always a comfortable space to be yourself, but I'm sure you'll do great with practice and more interviews down the line!
Saif Ullah Khalid
I had my first interview as a high school teacher in a private school, and it went terrific. Later on, I gave a demo class to the students. All went great, and hence I got my first job.
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@saif_ullah_khalid That's great to hear. Students and kids can be tough to teach, so I hope they're not giving you a tough time.
Paul VanZandt
I got the job from my first interview, but it took me a while to learn how to ask good questions during the process. It's been a while since I was on the receiving end of an interview so I'm sure my skills are a bit rusty.
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@paul_vanzandt Fantastic to hear that you did well in your first interview. I've been recruiting for a year, so it was all over the place when I got to be interviewed again. It was helpful to know what potential questions might come and reassess my weak points, but practice makes progress.
Paul VanZandt
@marina_djuric Completely agree, interviewing is a skill that you need to master. We just launched on PH today, if you're interested in a collaboration tool make sure to check us out: www.producthunt.com/posts/fresco-3
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@paul_vanzandt I'll be happy to support and happy launch day! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿฝ
Vaibhav Taneja
Well, I used to be very nervous when I had no experience and use to listen to interview stories of my seniors. It actually used to haunt me, what would I speak about myself and about my experience. But Once I started gaining some professional experience and started working on my skills I was literally prepared for my interview- that yes I have some skills to show to the interviewer. Though I was really nervous for my first interview but BOOOOMM!! I cracked it easily by showing my work and proving my skills better!
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@vaibhav_taneja How wasn't nervous hearing from peers how to nail an interview? The more you care for something, the more nerves get to you, and it's essential to remain cold-headed. I'm glad you handled it so well, that's awesome! Nothing builds more confidence than trying something for yourself.
Vedran Rasic
What a superb storyline. I actually cold called one company and he said I am not interested in your product but you :D
Vedran Rasic
@marina_djuric 1. Keep it real โ€“ it's almost never beneficial to fake it, you want a match with the right company 2. Focus on the value match โ€“ what can you do for the company and what benefits would match your interest 3. STAR โ€“ answer questions using Situation-Task-Action-Result matrix ;)
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@vedranrasic Share some tips so we can all be legendary like you! ๐Ÿ’ฏ
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@vedranrasic Thank you for an insightful breakdown! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿฝ
Bernadette Cau
I was stressed. The interviewer just asked the basic HR questions. "Why do you want to work at our company?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", etc. I hated such questions and tried to answer with sincerity. Not the home-prepared phrases. It proved to be a complete waste of time. I didn't even get a call back or an email after the interview.
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@bernadette_cau It can be very discouraging to have such an experience with a company and try your best and don't even get notified about being rejected. Not always the favorite thing to do but try to assess the whole interview and see where you could've done better for next time. Maybe that company would not be your greatest fit, so keep looking, and I'm sure a great opportunity will arise.
Nicole Ogloza
I had the hardest time landing my first job. I think i had 30 or 40 interviews and finally got a job 8 months out of college. (2016)
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@nicole_ogloza That sounds like a rough journey, I'm glad it worked out in the end! How was your experience at the job?
Marko Rakic
I was preparing for 10 days and covered all possible questions. I wanted that internship so hard, and fortunately, got a job.
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@marko_rakic2 That's a dedicated approach, and I'm glad it worked out! What do you find most interesting on the job?
Andrew C.
never given an interview... early on i got into my father's business... then I started my own... now no turning back!
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@andrewcanday That's cool, what inspired you to open your own business and what's it about?
Andrew C.
@marina_djuric hi Marina appreciate the reply. well i have started a crypto news aggregating website called COINSHOTS.com im trying to build a community that is crypto aware and so they may take informed decisions when investing in crypto
Andrew C.
@marina_djuric have you ventured into the world of crypto yet?
Marina ฤuriฤ‡
@andrewcanday that's very interesting, I haven't ventured yet it isn't something I'm drawn into, but I have many friends that are.
Andrew C.
@marina_djuric well im sure thats the hot topic your friends are usually talking about when you all hang out...hhahahaha