How did you start using Slack or similar messengers at work?

Nick Naumov
10 replies
So the team that I've recently joined uses WhatsApp 😩 and sometimes Telegram for all the work communications. To speak truth, it really annoys me because it looks like chaos in all the chats. Me and couple of other teammates want to move to Slack or Discord, but it looks like all the other people don't like this idea. Arguments like "Slack is better because of this and that" just don't seem to work. Did you ever face this kind of situation and what did you do?

Replies

Dimitris Karavias
I created a Slack workspace and sent out invites in a similar case. I didn't ask for permission, just told them we can try something easier. People hesitantly started using it and when they posted on Whatsapp I'd say "let's continue on Slack". Of course if this initiative would be punished in your company you'll have to talk to the one decision maker. If they don't want to hear about it, you have to either stick with Whatsapp or make a call on their culture, their future, and if you want to be part of it.
Carlo Thissen
Never experienced this and I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be. How about asking with a simple. I'd assume they're simply too lazy to change their habits. You could set up the whole Slack workspace including channels and write a small Notion guide on how to use it. Ideally it should replicate as many channels/whats-app groups which they already have to minimize friction. But to be honest - it seems like a lost cause if a company wants to stick to Whatsapp. Good luck!
Shiva Prabhakaran
Tell them Slack will give people better work/life balance and WhatsApp will only invade into their personal space. A lot of people wait for someone to take a stance like this and they will jump on it.
nilova.pande@qinaps.com
We started of with Teams and eventually moved to Discord. One main reason being, discord allows multiple people to share their screens at the same time. This is really really cool if you want to keep toggling between screens of multiple team members! Hope that encourages your team members to move from whatsapp. Whatsapp is a great app in itself but why would someone want to use it professionally especially when you need to send docs / attachments / share screens/ schedule team calls / calendar events and / emails and so on ..