How did you come up with your SaaS idea?

Dinal K.
6 replies
I would like to inspire by fellow makers on how you came up with your SaaS idea (or your initial hypotheses on a problem), how did it shape from that moment to reaching the product that is built today?

Replies

Misha Krunic
The idea of Price2Spy 2.0 was born out of pure necessity. WEBCentric owns several shops operating on the Serbian market. Basically, Serbian customers are not that much wealthy, therefore before buying a product, they check all available shops to find the one that has the lowest price. So, we used to spend hours and hours checking our competitors’ websites in order to find the price changes of our competitors. Over time, we started to spend more and more time and resources, until we decide to build a tool (now known as Price2Spy) for us. 10 years later, we learned so much about bots (since P2S is a bot) that we decided to create botmenot.com - bot protection test service.
Vadim Kravcenko
Interesting question. Since last week I'm been focusing on building vibes.so which is a tool for creators and indie founders to engage their audience better. And the idea for that came from listening to a podcast a few weeks ago about building products in a Audience-Driven way. The podcast was called "Bootstrapped Founder". Once I heard about this concept, I just couldn't get the idea out of my head and then just decided - I'll just build it myself.
Alexander Moen
welp, while working on my MBA I knew that I wanted to launch something as soon as I finished. My professional background started in sales, then expanded to marketing (because it led to more sales), and just before and during my MBA program that expanded into data science (to find the best way to make more money from sales and marketing). What I started finding more and more both in my experience and my studies was that people want product-market fit, but there wasn't really anything out there to specifically provide guidance there. Most of the software out there is for managing the projects related with products, or with gathering generic feedback, or post-launch feedback. At first, I wasn't sure if there was any opportunity there. But, I was pretty excited to find out that plenty of studies had been done on various statistical models that would improve your odds of success drastically. So, I decided to take that complicated statistical modeling software and focus in on a specific niche- providing product guidance before a product launched. I've seen what happens when a bad product gets forced onto the sales and marketing teams. I've also seen the waste that goes into iterating a product relentlessly after it launched. It makes much more sense that if you want product-market fit, that you should involve the market with your product as early as possible. That's where McSmartyPants Software was born and that's what was developed (and actually even launched on Product Hunt today, August 2nd, 2021).
Johannes Grenzemann
My co-founder Heiko loved mindmap, because of the creativity and the because of associative thinking which the unleash, but was bothered by them because once they get a certain size you just loose completely the overview (in fact beyond 150 items its just a black hairball). So he mad up his mind during his phd an came up with a new concept to fix this... And here comes Infinity Maps - a 3dimensional spatial mindmap alterative... So basically he just solved his own problem ;)