How concerned are you with websites' bot protection?

Misha Krunic
9 replies
Hello everyone! I'm currently developing BotMeNot (https://botmenot.com/) - a bot protection testing tool. It lets you know how well protected a website is from bots. The website can be either your own or any website you're interested in. This is why I'm very curious to know - how concerned are you about bot protection? I think the answer can vary depending on whether you own a website or not, but I'm very interested to hear both sides!

Replies

Ira GI
Depends on what bots we are talking about. I like bots that do work automation, fast communication.
Misha Krunic
@ira_gi What about the ones that scrape data from your website or that slow down your website's response time?
Bogomil Shopov - Бого
Bots that do what exactly? I might have a different view on bots :)
Misha Krunic
@bogomep Hey, @bogomep ! I'll be very glad to hear your opinion - whether it's on the so-called "good bots" such as Google, or the "bad ones", such as the ones used to slow down your website (or crash it completely), create fake content, or scrape your website's data. Also, I'm curious to know if you've had any experiences with bot protection solutions and any issues with bots on a website?
Bertha Kgokong
I do own a website, and would not mind if there were bots there. It depends what they are doing, my only concern would be ddos, brut-force attacks or security concerns involving bots and for that --- I would get specific protections for ddos, brut-force, etc ....
Misha Krunic
@berthakgokong Makes a lot of sense, thanks for letting me know!
PraveenKumar Subramanian
If it were my website, I would not only be interested in knowing how well is my website bot protected but also suggestions of how to make it bot protected. If it were not my website, I don't really care.
Misha Krunic
@praveenthames I understand. Many thanks for sharing!
Paul Red
Basically Google recaptcha resolves all bot submission problems. The only thing is that it does not work in China, because google domains are blocked there.