How are you growing your email list pre-launch?

Dawn Veltri
25 replies
I see a few of you posting stats each month about your email list growth. How are you growing your email list pre launch? Purely with Ship? Twitter? On your website? Within your communities?

Replies

All of those really - we intend to capture emails via ship, our landing page, revue, through the communities where are customers are based and of course our own landing page.
Dawn Veltri
@maxwellcdavis I love how simple revue is for people to sign up. Do you know if you have to send emails through Revue or if you can transfer the email addresses to your ESP?
@dawn_veltri1 We've linked up revue with our ESP using a couple of Zaps (from Zapier). All it does is add or remove people from the Revue List. So the emails only come from our ESP.
Matthew Dever
@maxwellcdavis Have you been able to sell subscription revenue pre launch? Or is the waitlist free?
Amarnath Nagula
Sending cold DM's to Twitter followers, former friends, and colleagues :)
Dawn Veltri
@amarnath_nagula Oh yes, I send a lot of cold DMs. I've noticed the more ridiculous they are the higher the response.
Omar Laoudai
You can grow your email list using www.skrapp.io, it is the easiest solution to extract leads from LinkedIn. In a few seconds, you can find email addresses and launch your email prospecting project.
Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
We've launched a Ship page (https://www.producthunt.com/upco...), which allows us to collect subscribers.
Dawn Veltri
@lior_galante_cohen How long has your ship page been live Lior?
@dawn_veltri1 It's been live for about a month or so, and we started paying for a Pro plan (which means you're also promoted on the "Upcoming" PH page) about 10 days ago.
Cory Crapes
@dawn_veltri1 @lior_galante_cohen Lior, did you see a noticeable improvement on sign-ups with the pro plan/promoted option over the standard ship plan?
@dawn_veltri1 @cory_crapes Yes, but not as much as I had expected. We started paying when we had ~100 subscribers, and now we have ~200. However, some of them are people we've been engaging with/been in contact with (I assume they make up to 50% of new subscribers).
Cory Crapes
@dawn_veltri1 @lior_galante_cohen Thanks for that information. Good luck on your upcoming launch. Can't wait to upvote it. Happy Holidays.
Alexis Grant
We're doing this for They Got Acquired: https://TheyGotAcquired.com. Been in pre-launch for a few months and have 770 subs. Hoping to hit 1,000 by the time we launch in January. We used Carrd.co to build that simple landing page (our developers are building the full website as we speak). We've gotten sign-ups in a few ways: 1) Community outreach -- posting in Facebook groups, Slack groups and other communities. We try not to make these posts too promotional. Instead of asking them to sign up, we share what we're building and ask if they know of any founders/companies we might feature. 2) Personal outreach -- little by little, I'm writing a personal note to the network of people I've grown throughout my career and let them know what I'm up to. 3) Twitter -- I post about what we're building there 4) Shares from community -- Once we get people onto the email list, I let them know our No. 1 goal before launch is to add more subscribers, and ask if they can help. If the mission resonates with them, they'll share with their network. We've gotten some great shares and subscribers this way. I'm curious about whether Ship is effective for collecting emails ahead of launch and whether we should build a page!
Dawn Veltri
@alexisgrant00 Hi Alexis! Thank you — these are exactly the types of suggestions I was looking for. I appreciate the ideas especially asking people to share with their network, for some reason I haven't done that. Our product identities who is visiting your website so we get emails from that but I was really seeking actionable outreach tips like this. Ship is definitely worth it. Our list grows every day and since our upcoming page has gone live ProductHunt is one of the top traffic referrers to our website. I should have done it sooner. Your product will resonate with many people on PH and I think a Ship page would drive a lot of traffic.
Alexis Grant
@dawn_veltri1 Thanks for this! We'll get that page live.
Jaskiran Kaur
With the help of Data Mining
Justin McLeod
Top 4 Ways to build your pre-launch waitlist: 1. Personal Network: LinkedIn, Personal Social Media Accounts 2. Content: Video, Blogs, Podcasts to educate audience 3. Virtual Events: Get a bulk amount of emails 4. Existing Platforms: Group of likeminded customers in one area I created an online course to help founders build their waitlist from scratch. Enroll here: www.justin-mcleod.teachable.com
Angeli Zhao
Really helpful discussion here! Thank you for asking this question.