Hey Product makers!🎄 What's the hardest part of your job?🤯

Alexey Shashkov
89 replies

Replies

David Abaev
Making product decisions - so many things we want to build and not enough time!
Alexey Shashkov
@david_abaev1 David, I try to rely on mined data. I do user research, extract insights, and make decisions on that data. It's not easy but I'm practicing.
Alexey Shashkov
@david_abaev1 Hello, David. Thanks for answering. That’s a good problem! I’m really curious how do you make your product decisions? How do you handle it?
David Abaev
@shashcoffe I think it's difficult to give a general answer since each problem has it's own nuances, but the one question we ask ourselves often is 'what are we as a company the best at and will this feature contribute to that?' This way we split the nice-to-haves from the must-haves - makes things a bit easier :) What about you? Curious how others do it also
Alexey Shashkov
@david_abaev1 Thank you for the answer, David. I usually try to estimate the potential output of each task and how long it will take to implement. Just an empirical analysis. But I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong. Why don't we have a Zoom call and talk more about that?
David Abaev
@shashcoffe Interesting, yeah I think everyone does it their own way, most important is that you ship :) Sure, let's have a call! Do you have telegram? could be easier to schedule there
Kamila KlavĂ­kovĂĄ
That's a tough question. I guess it's explaining why we're leaving out some features and not implementing them. One tries to maintain a certain approach to design while maintaining good relationships with customers. As developers and designers, we make decisions for the users. These decisions greatly influence what the app will be. We think about problems and how to solve them so that the solution is not only functional, but also easy to use. We emphasize simplification. Sometimes the problem needs to be investigated further because it may be elsewhere than it appears. People are usually not aware of where the problem is. I myself have a difficulty figuring out where the heart of the matter is, even though it is an important part of my job. Sometimes a feature just doesn't fit our vision. Other times, we feel like it wouldn't make sense at the time. But what happens is that we change our minds and a few weeks later we come up with a solution that fits into the existing system. Then we get back to those people that we've solved their problem. We welcome feedback. It makes us look at problems from a different angle. And other times we wouldn't even know there was a problem. This results in a way better solution for everybody.
Alexey Shashkov
@klavikova Kamila, I really appreciate your comprehensive reply! You’re the best! What tasks and processes take up most of your workday? What do you do most of the time working on the product?
Kamila KlavĂ­kovĂĄ
@shashcoffe Thank you 🤗! I spend most of my time on design and promotion. These two areas are very intertwined and can't be completely separated. Lately, a few hours of my time are taken up by social media and various communities where I try to spread awareness about OrgPad and related things.  Then I serve as a support to the team. I'm studying how different things work. I organize our joint documents. I keep track of product ideas so that they don't fall through the cracks. I find ways we can be more efficient in different activities. In doing so, I'm testing the app. There's always more work, but there's still the same amount of us. We also discuss what needs to be done at the moment, how the app should work, ideas for promotion and so on. It has changed a lot. I used to do a lot of programming and not much promotion. The reason is that now we have different priorities. And would be different three ago.
Alexey Shashkov
@klavikova Got it! Kamila, why don’t we jump on a Zoom call and chat a little about your work on OrgPad? I’m curious to know more about you, your experience, and add you to my network.
William Wildridge
@klavikova Thank you for sharing, it's something I also struggle with sometimes, I'd love to say yes to every request, I've found that by having a public roadmap this can help as it illustrates where development time is being spent. What do you find helps to explain to customers when a requested product feature may be a few months away or will never be built?
Kamila KlavĂ­kovĂĄ
@shashcoffe With pleasure! Let's discuss details in DMs on Twitter.
Rajat Dangi 🛠️
1. Conveying your new idea exactly to your team the way it is in your mind. Without the wireframes and designs. 2. Aligning designers, developers, and marketing teams.
Alexey Shashkov
@rajat_dangi1 Rajat, how do you convey your ideas to your team without visuals? And how do you align designers, devs, and marketing teams? How the process looks like?
Bogomil Shopov - Бого
@rajat_dangi1 @shashcoffe Aligning designers, developers, and marketing teams is the thing I do best :)
Alexey Shashkov
@bogomep Howdy, Bogomil! Can you share your experience? How do you do that? What are the best practices for you?
Atul Ghorpade
Finding new clients. Any tips you can share?
Mohsen Kamrani
@atulghorpade Hi Atul, I'm starting an open-source site dedicated to pre-seed startups with and the priority is absolutely with pre-revenue startups. If you're interested will let you know as soon as the very first version is up.
Alexey Shashkov
@atulghorpade Hi, Atul. No, I don’t give tips=) But how do you find new clients now? What are the best practices for you now? What have you already tried?
Alexey Shashkov
@m_kamrani Hey, Mohsen! I’m glad to see you here! Why did you decide to start that site?
Mohsen Kamrani
@shashcoffe Hey Alexey. Same here mate. I just felt the need and wanted to help pre-seed startups, but cannot spend much time on it atm as we're gonna start our beta with utopiops next week.
Atul Ghorpade
@shashcoffe I only tried Reddit and got my 1st client from there. Nowadays, looking for more methods such as cold emailing/calling and more. Nothing to add more. :)
Serafima Aleksandrova
Probably working on holidays
Alexey Shashkov
@avserafima Hey Serafima=) Why is that the hardest part for you? You're forced to work, and you don't want to?
Serafima Aleksandrova
@shashcoffe Yeah, sometimes it's harder to keep the pace and push forward when everyone around you is relaxing and playing three all-time-favorite Christmas songs :) And what about you?
Kamila KlavĂ­kovĂĄ
@shashcoffe @avserafima That's only one part of the problem. Another is that people around you don't get it. Some people don't understand that some tasks are time sensitive and unpredictable. Part of our family told us we shouldn't work on Christmas Eve and help with preparations instead. Yes, we wanted to help, but we got featured so spend a day on PH and social media. But at the end, we had a nice evening with family too. You can't always rest when you want to.
Alexey Shashkov
@avserafima Haha=) Now I get it=) For me the hardest part is to find the problem worth solving=)
Alexey Shashkov
@klavikova What brilliant thoughts, Kamilla!
Getting motivated and sit down to do the work... When you're your own boss, there's no one to tell you what to do, give you deadlines. I find it difficult to get as much done on my own projects as otherwise would be a piece of cake when working on other projects as a freelancer.
Alexey Shashkov
@johnnyfekete Yeah, man! I totally understand! I am familiar with this problem very well. =) How do you handle it? What are the best practices for you today?
@shashcoffe I have a couple - have an accountability buddy, who checks on you and your progress periodically - plan ahead for the day, so you never have to stop and think, what's next (that's when I end up on Reddit and Twitter and start procrastinating) - and I use an app called Focus that disables certain websites and notifications while I'm trying to focus ☺️ but even with all that, I still feel I could do better
Alexey Shashkov
@johnnyfekete Jhonny, I absolutely understand. I'd love to chat with you about this on a Zoom call if you have time.
Rushikesh Kavathekar
Planning a Sprint and reduce the backlogs
Alexey Shashkov
@rushikesh_kavathekar Wow! These are common problems in product management. Rushikesh, can you tell me more about how you plan your sprints and prioritize your backlog?
Rushikesh Kavathekar
@shashcoffe Hi Alexey, I like to keep things simpler. Backlogs and Sprints have to go hand-in- hand. Thus, prepare some goals in a Quarter for the product and then, go ahead for it. Also, the main point here is listening to customers first before planning any feature list. They will tell you what they really need. Don't put your dream feature in your sprint list until an unless, you fulfilled basic customers needs.
Alexey Shashkov
@rushikesh_kavathekar I totally agree with you, Rushikesh! How do you listen to your customers? What do you do about that? What’s the process?
Rushikesh Kavathekar
@shashcoffe Its simple connect with them via surveys, chat and call. If you're having larger customer base, then collect each input via data points.
Alexey Shashkov
@rushikesh_kavathekar Go it. How often do you call and chat with customers/users?
Kamila KlavĂ­kovĂĄ
@bogomep It helps me look back at what I've learned and done. It's usually better than I thought :). What about you? How do you deal with a self-doubt?
Alexey Shashkov
@bogomep Haha=) Yeah, man, that’s a common problem=) What have you already tried to boost self-confidence?
Alexey Shashkov
@alexharris Hey, Alex! Prioritizing is one of the hardest parts of my work too. I understand. How do you do that working on Adadot? What are the best practices for you?
Alex Harris
@shashcoffe For product we estimate complexity vs impact. For the rest of my list I am only allowing myself to prioritise 3 things from my list a day and tackle in order.
Alexey Shashkov
@alexharris An interesting approach! I'd love to chat with you about that on a Zoom call. What do you think? Let's have a conversation to get to know each other and add us to our networks?
Hemant Warier
Getting the first paid customer is always the hardest!
Alexey Shashkov
@hemantwarier Hi, Hemant! I totally agreed. How did you do that for NotesAlly? What’s your way?
Hemant Warier
@shashcoffe LinkedIn Campaigns, SEO and running PPC Campaigns on Capterra
Janinah
Hey Alexey, for me I think its the motivation of being able to get up and do what needs to be done. Without a boss/colleague deadlines.
Alexey Shashkov
@janinah Hi, Janinah! I’m glad to see you again! How do you handle that? What are your best practices and solutions for doing that?
Janinah
@shashcoffe soooo sorry for the delay. Need to start checking into PH more often. With regards to your question I think for me best practices are: 1. Creating my own deadlines and milestones 2. Tying the goal to some sort of theme/campaign/goal/system 3. Consuming content by others doing the same thing as me e.g.entrepreneurial articles, or videos. 4. Leveraging the 'Value of Delight' e.g. using my notion workspace which I love. Or listening to a certain playlist to get me in the zone.
Alexey Shashkov
@janinah Janinah, that is awesome!
Hussain Effendi
Hey Alexey and fellow product builders! Let me give you my version based on the current hardships. So here I'm with a few friends trying to build something that would actually matter! There's always excitement and so much brainstorming happening. But the main issue that we found was execution. We keep making our Scrums and adding so many tasks to it, but the funny thing in building a product is that you might complete a few tasks every now and then but that is overcompensated by the addition of multiple more tasks. We sat down and discussed what made us lag in the execution and came to the conclusion that we needed more hands-on deck. Now being bootstrapped as we are at a very nascent stage in our product life cycle, we obviously had to think hard if we could afford to make a few hires or not. A week after running through numbers we finally did decided to go ahead and build the squad, right! Until now I was under the impression that execution was the hardest part of my job. I thought that the solution was hiring a few more people to work with us. Little did I realise at that time that the solution would evolve into becoming harder than the initial hardest part of my job :) Now I spend most of my time screening through applications and getting on calls with these potential hires, which kind of makes my scrum board look stagnant; and the irony is that when I do finally find somebody that's a good fit, they never show up when its the day of joining. It's funny how after reading through the comments of others I find my hardest part of the job to be the easiest. Cheers guys!
Alexey Shashkov
@heffendi Wow! Hussain, I really appreciate your reply! You've written everything in such detail and colorfully that it looks like a very complicated part of your work! What have you already tried to solve that problem?
Hussain Effendi
@shashcoffe So I am still experimenting in multiple ways. One of which is outsourcing work to other agencies, but trust me, that hurts the pockets. But what I have going on right now is making my first hire. And guess what? . . . Our first hire is going to be an HR. So I guess that should help with the current issue at hand to a great extent. Fingers crossed!
Alexey Shashkov
@heffendi HR is a key role in a growing company. That’s a good way to solve your problem, yes. I think you’re doing very well! Finger crossed.
Rosie Higgins
Marketing our product and finding new users.
Alexey Shashkov
@rosie_higgins_grapevine Hello, Rosie. Nice to meet you! Yeah, that are common problems, especially in the early stage. How do you market your product and find new users? What's your current way to do that?
Rosie Higgins
@shashcoffe nice to meet you too! I suppose part of the problem is we haven't done that much of it yet, as we've both been focussing on building the product. But so far we have used forums, Product Hunt, Linkedin and introductions from connections/ outreach to our own contacts. We have a lot that we can improve I'm sure!
Alexey Shashkov
@rosie_higgins_grapevine I think you’re doing it well, Rosie! Good luck with your product!
GamerSeo
The most difficult thing is the monotony of work
Alexey Shashkov
@gamerseo Hi! Do you mean the same repetitive tasks? Can you give me an example of monotonous work?
Vivek Ganesan
One problem that I am baffled with (at the moment) is this: How can I get early adopters for my SaaS product?
Alexey Shashkov
@vivek_ganesan This is one of the most important questions that I am personally looking for an answer to. I think the best way to find early adopters is to observe potential users with pain points in the communities, talk to them about their pain points, and the most desperate of them will be the early adopters. What do you think, Vivek?
Jonathan Massabni
Having to keep a 9 to 5 job in the early stages. Also, sales! Finding the first few users that will kick-start the iteration process
Alexey Shashkov
@jonathanm Hello, Jonathan! Oh, how I understand you! How do you handle it? What’s the best practice for you to do that?
Jonathan Massabni
@shashcoffe haha have you been there? I feel like the mindset is key! Knowing that any big endeavor takes time no matter what. So it's ok to set small, realistic, clear and short-term goals for the long-term vision. Then, every goal reached is extra motivation for the next one :)
Alexey Shashkov
@jonathanm For sure, I’ve been there many times! =) So I totally understand you.
Minal Joshi Jaeckli
Sales :( And, I hate when I don't know what to do next... since I have no one telling me what to do, I have moments where I simply just don't know what to do next to move my business forward... I hope my answer makes sense and is helpful towards whatever reason you are asking Alexey.
Alexey Shashkov
@minal_at_openelevator Hi, Minal. Yes, your answer makes sense. I have the same problem. Let’s have a zoom call and chat about that?
Minal Joshi Jaeckli
@shashcoffe Sure Alexey. Do you want to book something via my calendly link? https://calendly.com/minalopenel...