Have you ever used eyetracking data to validate your visual designs?

Taimur Khan
3 replies
As a UX professional, marketer, or a web designer, you use many tools in your workflows to collect data and validate your work. Has eyetracking data been one of these data points?

Replies

Ender
I don’t use eye tracking data to validate my designs. If I really needed to do so, eye tracking is pretty simple to do in JavaScript with libraries like tracking.js and TensorFlow. I think using eye tracking to validate designs might be extreme. It is probably better to spend more time doing more user interviews.
Ender
@adsata In my opinion, subjectivity is lovely! I enjoy hearing different users’ human perspectives. I don’t think interviews are too subjective at all.
Taimur Khan
@enderm yeah there are plenty of tools out there to do very basic eyetracking at this point. I personally don't rely purely on qualitative data, specially something like interviews are too subjective unless something very obvious is broken with the UX. Eyetracking has generally been good with figuring out nuances that clicks and page visits don't really show (e.g metrics like lostness and gaze paths)