Have you ever let a product change a habit?

Jim Morrison
6 replies
Are there any great examples out there of digital products that have made you change your real world habits?

Replies

Maddie Lee
Not sure if this is helpful but check out the book Hooked - it's about building habit-forming products and it is really fascinating. https://www.goodreads.com/book/s...
Jim Morrison
@shesmaddie ... can I ask - does "Hooked" promote the kind of domamine-response behaviours that things like Facebook use.. cos that's really not what I want. We're working hard to build a product that promotes healthy reading habits - a little bit of news each day... but not too much, not from the same sources each day, not about the same tropes each day... cultural and political breadth & balance... The challenge we have is that while we're really trying to avoid the "addiction" behaviours... we do still need to form the habit which, in this day/market is *super* hard. PS. Realise I've asked two very similar questions (doh!) ... and @phgn0 just suggested the same book so it must be good. Just hope it's the right sort of good.
Jim Morrison
@shesmaddie awesome, thanks! I’ll take a look.
Yeshaswini
That's a great question! I think every product is trying to be habit-forming with their ease of use and gamification, but the meditation apps are a superb example here. They offer gentle reminders and I think there is so much scope in the mental and physical wellbeing space.
Jim Morrison
@yeshaswini ooh, yes that’s a great set of examples, thanks. I’ll go and investigate. Are there any apps you’d particularly recommend?