Have PR strategies boiled down to simply having a social media presence?

Yeshaswini
4 replies
What are some of the traditional PR strategies that you are still following religiously?

Replies

Jack Davis
It sounds like you are referring to marketing strategies more so than PR strategies. PR usually refers to firms that publish articles that garner lots of attention. A lot of marketing strategies boil down to social media because it's easier for low budget companies to take advantage of. Other traditional marketing strategies include television, radio, newspaper but have an expensive barrier to entry and are harder to track results. Social media allows you to track real time analytics. Other marketing strategies could include making a blog, emails, newsletters, contests, events, collaborations.
Yeshaswini
@jack_davis7 Hey Jack, thanks for the response. I think what you're mentioning is PR in its traditional sense. But, what we see today is a growing use of social media as part of PR strategies. From dealing with bad press via twitter responses to using influencers to send out a "good word" for the product. Don't these form a part of PR too? Would love to know your take!
Jack Davis
@yeshaswini You are definitely right! I think we just have different definitions of PR which is not a bad thing! I just think of marketing as all encompassing which includes advertising, PR and market research. So usually when I hear PR it makes me think of the more tradition sense. But PR can be broad and definitely include the activities you mentioned.