Figuring Out Target Market

Michael Xing
5 replies
Hi everyone! If it's okay, I would be grateful if we could get some feedback on how to determine a good target market for our product - Spade. I think my question applies to many tools that have a broad consumer market. Spade's a chrome extension that allows you to create, save, download, and share annotations across the web (https://spade.tools). We're planning to launch Spade for the second time as we have pivoted away from it being a research tool to a more general use case. Here are the use cases we've figured out so far: Professional: Giving feedback on a research paper / design / websites, annotating articles, and sharing ideas on them with teams. Students: Do homework on pdfs, drawing out hard problems and crossing out online quiz answers, noting down notes as you go on a website or a video, annotating articles for research Teachers: Marking up a presentation, sharing thoughts on work / texts with other teachers, grade and comment on essays, homework, reduce use of scanning by annotating directly on pdfs General: Hopping on https://spade.tools/blank and using it as a whiteboard or mindmap, making a purchase or decision between online selections - jotting down thoughts on each option How do you think we could narrow it down? Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

Paul VanZandt
I think you should start by targeting just one of those segments. In my opinion, either students or professionals. From there, you should think about some specific positions that could benefit you most. My first thoughts are copywriters, editors, researchers, etc. Best of luck!
Michael Xing
@paul_vanzandt Good idea! Thanks for the advice.
Jing Chen
The new version of spade tools looks like a significant improvement in the user experience. I start using it when I do online learning, and it has been helpful. Congratulations to the team! Students and teachers are probably the leading groups of people who do more research than others.
Jing Chen
@mrmuke I'd like to add that you could find the segment with more probabilities that favour you and you can keep taking shots at it.
Michael Xing
@jing_chen3 Thanks for the feedback and ideas!