Favourite project management tool and why?

Tim Devereux
7 replies
At messeji (https://home.messeji.com/), we are developing a tool to help people manage Notes, Tasks & Meetings. We are conceptualizing a Projects* feature for our roadmap and are curious what people love about some of the heavy-hitters out there today: Asana, Trello, Monday.com, ClickUp, Jira, Notion, etc. Which tools are you favourite and why? Are there any tools you haven't had a great experience with? *Just to note, we aren't trying to compete with the heavy-hitters, we're trying to compliment with integrations.

Replies

I've used Trello for years (after using some of the others you mentioned) - it's simple and good for small or complex projects. Biggest issue though is that a lot of it is paid these days....
Mikhail Ivanenko
We are using Trello and it seems fine: easy to use, pretty versatile, nice features and integrations. I wished there were some addon packages when you pay for a few addons needed since buying them one by one ends up with a hefty sum on top of the Trello subscription itself I tried Notion and it seemed to be too sophisticated and less intuitive. It could have been great for note-taking but what I didn't like about it was that those notes are stored on the Notion's servers and if something happens I am not sure they will be kept intact. In any case, I wish you good luck with it!
Tim Devereux
@mikhail_ivanenko thanks for the feedback and good to know! A common theme seems to be that a lot of these platforms (with the notable exception of Trello) have a pretty steep learning curve and/or require wide adoption to balance out the effort versus reward.
Amanda Trincher
I think that in fact any tool like Asana, Trello, Jira can provide you with the necessary functionality for project management. Rather more important is the skills of your project manager. Does he have all the knowledge and best practices to work effectively with a team and build excellent communication? Does he have a PRINCE2 certification behind him or something like that. This is the key in my opinion.
Pavel Kukhnavets
My favourite tool is GanttPRO (https://ganttpro.com/) because it provides a professional set of PM features and opportunities for different needs.