Does your team use your core software stack (Slack, Notion, Airtable) to its full potential?

Andrew 💥
7 replies
It feels like core software tools like Slack, Airtable, Notion are getting more complex, but except for power users, most teams don't use even 20% of the functionality. Not to mention using automations or connecting apps between each other with zapier, even if you are already paying for all of that. I'm constantly noticing that usually people just don't know they can do it with the tools they already have in place and start looking for "one more tool" which also adds to your overall software spend. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

Alexa Vovchenko
I don't think we use it to the full potential. But why is it a problem? I mean, we @EmployPlan are a 10-people team, split among development, sales and marketing. I don't think that we really shouls to use all the features 'cause our needs are not that huge. To perfectly master one app we'd have to dedicate our time specifically for the tool. Why to do this? If we e.g., use Airtable for cold call log, our need is satisfied and we don't lack anything else. Besides, a lot of tools are developed for collaboration, which is good when it's hard to gather more people on one project. With smaller teams this feature is optional since they're more flexible.
Sergio Mattei
I don't think we do, but does it matter? I honestly think we're pretty productive with Airtable/GSuite. If there are jobs to be done with these tasks, they're getting done. Anything else is just looking for problems to solve. I'm not against mastery of these tools, don't get me wrong. I just don't think we should be spending time in search for a problem.
Jack Davis
I do not think we do but like Sergio put it it does not matter. If we get what we need done with only 20% of the potential of the product then it is no problem. It would be a different story if we were using 100% of the product and not meeting our needs of what needed to be finished.
Nico Spijker
I think it's important to take into account that a some features are sometimes also made for a specific use case or team requirement. As long as they don't stand in the way it shouldn't be a problem, especially since some features might not always fit well with your day-to-day workflow. I do agree with you though that connecting apps and adding several tools can add to expenditure and give redundancy in functionality. We actually tried to solve that by combining everything on one platform, from messaging to tasks, notes and files. Especially to avoid the "one more tool" problem you mentioned, which in the current remote work environment is happening more and more often. In case you're curious to see how we did it i'm leaving a link to our product, always happy to have a chat around this topic :) https://rock.so/
Slava Bobrov
Good question, because the other 80% of functionality is what allows tools like Slack, Airtable, Notion to be platforms that different apps can build on top. This way they target both B2B and B2C markets
Camilla Chesham
These days I feel the issue is more can your team dedicate to one/a few platform/s for their needs! I have worked with so many companies that are scattered across various platforms and nobody even knows where to log what anymore 😂