Do you think tech can solve the most pressing problems like climate change? How?

Rucha Joshi
15 replies
We are facing unprecedented times and tech has promised a lot to mitigate those. But how far have we come along and what more can we do as a community of makers/entrepreneurs/technologists?

Replies

Mike Odenhoven
I believe the biggest challenge we're currently facing is climate change. The challenge seems so big that most people just give up and do nothing. But I believe in the power of something - and that anyone can make a difference no matter how small. Tech can connect the millions of people that want action with the dozens of climate solutions out there. Together we can restore nature, rid the air of gigatons of carbon dioxide and clear the environment of pollution. This is what we're trying to achieve with Sumting, and it's a mission that gets us fired up each and every day. We're getting ready for our launch here on PH but have a first landing page up that details the idea a bit further - super keen to hear your thoughts!
Rucha Joshi
@mike_odenhoven That sounds amazing honestly! Can you share the landing page link here? I would love to check it out.
Rucha Joshi
@mike_odenhoven I totally missed this. Replied to you on your discussion post -https://www.producthunt.com/disc...
Mike Odenhoven
@rucha_joshi8 I wasn’t sure that’s allowed here but here it is: www.sumting.org 👍
Mike Odenhoven
@rucha_joshi8 Thank you so much for your reply!
Maciej Cupial
Please define "pressing problems" :)
Rucha Joshi
@maciej_cupial I'd say climate crisis, rising income inequality and misinformation. How about you? Do you think we can solve this?
Maciej Cupial
@rucha_joshi8 not really. Tech can help but not solve the problems we have created. Of course, we still need to learn how to use it.
TheBigK
Tech is going to be a part of everything we do. However, this is a very generic question and cannot be answered without knowing what problems are pressing problems.
Rucha Joshi
@thebigk In my opinion climate crisis, rising income inequality and misinformation. I would love to hear what all you consider as pressing problems.
TheBigK
@rucha_joshi8 I'd consider poverty, hunger, shelter as pressing problems. Tech can address those to certain extent; but I'd not look at it as a magic wand. As entrepreneurs; all we could do is contribute to wealth generation and creating jobs. We don't have the onus of fixing all the problems that exist out there. :-)
Hussain Effendi
With the current era and trends that we are in; to a certain extent Tech is truly one of the prime contributors in solving many of the world's problems. Tech is the hub of innovation and that is one of the major reasons we are in a tech-driven world today. There are so many pressing problems that we as a community let alone the world are facing today. The best part I find about Tech is how they look at these problems; they look at big problems as bigger opportunities. Just to mention a few examples: Next-gen robotics, suppressing carbon footprints through zero-emission vehicles, AI, Blockchain, Foodtech, Neuromorphic Technology, these are just a few of the thousands or maybe even more. As a community of makers/entrepreneurs/technologists, all we need to keep doing is identify problems, innovate and Hustle as we always do! There's a saying by a famous ice-hockey player (a name I can't recollect as of now); he says not to skate where the puck is rather to skate in the direction where the puck is going!
Rucha Joshi
@heffendi Thanks for sharing! I like the quote. We could sure have the technology but what will matter is how we use it and for what.
Jessie
Tech can contribute in solving a problem but not be the ultimate solution... only time will tell it's impact on it.