Do you think Elon Musk's takeover of Twitter is a good thing?

Gurpinder Singh
14 replies

Replies

Kazimieras Melaika
I don't really have an opinion on this. It's good for free speech but everything should be censored at least a little bit. Twitter have had a really nice abuse control, hopefully, it will not become too loose with Elon Musk's takeover. Btw, we’re launching in late May. Check out our upcoming PH page: www.producthunt.com/upcoming/eff... Our project is called: Effecto. It’s an app for detailed habits, health, symptoms, and meds tracking. Pretty much for everything that is related to your physical or mental health and every daily factor that can affect you.
Vivek Katial
Nah - I'm worried he will make it easier for people to face abuse and reduce some of the great hate-speech censoring Twitter has introduced. Elon has a great track record for making businesses that involve hardware / radically transforming and challenging the status quo. But he has a horrible track record for people management and lacks a lot of empathy and emotional maturity. For example, look at Tesla being sued by the Californian government for massive amounts of racism and segregation in their manufacturing plants: https://www.latimes.com/business...
Luka Vasic
Mostly yes, because I'm all for free speech, but there have to be some limits for it not to become abuse.
Paul VanZandt
I'm not sure it really helps anyone besides Elon - I think he just wants to control an arm of social media and he's chosen Twitter. Will be interesting to see how the platform evolves in the next year.
Solomon Bush
Absolutely, yes. Taking it private, open sourcing its algorithms, and having unfettered speech is something that Jack Dorsey, creator of twitter, has wanted to do for a long time. Here's a tweet from Jack on this: https://twitter.com/jack/status/...
Launching soon!
Musk's take-over of Twitter is an intriguing one, especially considering his recent interactions on the platform. It appears he wants to use it as a way to communicate with the public, and to also interact more with SpaceX and Tesla fans. Personally, I think Musk's takeover of Twitter is a smart move for him.
Sara
Yes, it is a way to attract customers too! Today, I believe he has a great impact on our community. If you want to know how we believe he managed to attract customers to his business, please read this article. https://minelead.io/how-to-attra...
Dylan Merideth
Its super interesting, I think we will learn alot about his motives as the platform evolves under his ownership, as the line between freedom of expression and freedom from fear/abuse is one that twitter has to walk, and I am not envious of those decisions. I understand Twitter to be bloated with inefficiency from an operations perspective, and thats one thing Musk does have a track record for reforming to great commercial success.
Iya Mendoza
Interesting opinions! But I actually agree with Paul here. I think this benefits mostly Elon Musk. Twitter is not in the best stage right now considering all its competitors doing amazing trends like Tiktok (short vids), Instagram (people love sharing photos in the world), and Facebook (as a great ad space). So what did Elon Musk did? Take advantage of it. Almost little to none clicks on Twitter ads. I'm just not sure how will this turn out for avid Twitter fans.
Philipp Stelzel
Probably yes, if he implements everything he is promising Twitter might become the greatest Social Network of our time. However, I see the danger that he is just going to dump it in some months to make a nice profit. Who knows...
Stijn van Balen
At the very least it is a plus that people are now more aware that a public square function is very sensitive
Rich Watson
Taking the company private will allow him to do what he see's fit for the platform