Do you think asynchronous communication is a better choice for remote working?

Tanoy Chowdhury
9 replies
Personally, I find them better than synchronous communication. It helps me to focus on my task for a longer duration uninterruptedly, and avoids mental fatigue. What's your take?

Replies

Robin
It need both. For complex situations / problems -> synchronous (Google Meet, Call etc.)
Tanoy Chowdhury
I agree with you, Robin. A balance between both synchronous and asynchronous communication helps. For regular, and non-urgent which one do you prefer?
Robin
Then its the other. Slack, Trello etc.
Artem Smirnov
The worst part used to be when you are in a middle of debugging a severe bug on the production server and your boss is messaging you every 5 minutes asking "any luck?" Took me a few years to train myself to stay calm and just.ignorehim until I'm finished (or at least made a good progress and ready to switch the context).
Tanoy Chowdhury
@artem_smirnov Oh yes, this is really frustrating. I have been in similar situations, and I totally understand where this is coming from. Can you tell a bit more about how you trained yourself over the years?
Artem Smirnov
@tanoy27 it really helps that I'm a Buddhist so I know how to calm down and let go of tension ))). The main idea is firs decide what is more important (a bug fixed in a calm state of mind is obviously more important than satisfying your boss' nervous attention), then train yourself in following your own decision over and over again until it becomes a habit.
Tanoy Chowdhury
@artem_smirnov Your answer is very enlightening. I'm glad that I asked this question, and you took time to answer it. I have started following you too, hoping to come across more such interesting information from your end. Good day.
NotesbyHugh
I've tried both and prefer asynchronous. It allows me to work uninterrupted and quickly enter the flow state. I've found it also means people tend to solve their own problems rather than resort to asking for help.
Sanja Mitar
If it's done properly, yes. Documentation is the most undervalued async comms tool out there....recorded videos is pretty important too.