Do you subscribe to the idea of "done is better than perfect" for your start-up work or launch?

Elisabeth Was
19 replies

Replies

Peyt Spencer Dewar
There are certainly extremes on both sides. For me, applying this principle prevents overthinking.
Elisabeth Was
@psd …and analysis paralysis, when we lose sight of the bigger picture and the progress we've already made. Thanks!
John Koo
Yes, if I don't, I'll never finish anything. As a developer i always see places that can be improved.
Elisabeth Was
@imjohnkoo I completely agree. It's easy to get stuck in a loop of endless tinkering and never actually launch.
Richard Gao
Yes Launch later: no profit until now and launch date Launch now: bad profits + feedback from now until you make more updates Right now we're still on our MVP for evoke-app.com And I'd say this would be much better than if we launched later and gained nothing from then till now
Elisabeth Was
@richard_gao2 Thank you for your answer! I think it is a quite good strategy to keep yourself on track and avoid perfectionism.
Dr Doomain
Yes, literally every startup advice says to start marketing before building
Elisabeth Was
@doomain As I understand the benefits of starting marketing early on, for me, it feels a bit too progressive ☺️
Dr Doomain
@elisabethw If you can't make an mvp, at least do a landing page with email signups
Elisabeth Was
@doomain Thanks! It's always worth trying.
Vlad Zivkovic
I believe it depends on the type of the product you are launching, but it is definitely a good option to launch as soon as possible to get the market feedback.
Elisabeth Was
@vladimir_zivkovic Thank you for sharing your perspective! I agree that the type of product being launched can impact the decision to launch asap or wait for a more polished version. I also think it's important to recognize that perfectionism can sometimes be driven by fear of not meeting expectations. Perfectionists may feel the need to achieve flawlessness in their work to avoid negative feedback from others, which can lead to procrastination.
Vlad Zivkovic
@elisabethw I agree with you, if you always looking to fix another detail, it is actually turning into procrastination.
Stephen
The balance is in launching something with enough magic to see how sticky it is and to get real data to take it from there. The last thing you want to do is have the perfect product that no one needs or wants.
Elisabeth Was
@stephen_smith67 Thank you for your insightful answer 👏. Launching a product with enough appeal to generate real data sounds like a dream situation for many projects, but I understand that it's not always easy. I believe that finding the right balance between having a viable product and creating enough buzz to see its potential can be delicate.
Katja Alissa Mueller
Perfect doesn't exist: it's like trying to reach that ultimate goal that can never be achieved. So much easier for the mind, business and everyone else to move on when done and happy. And then reiterate from there...
Elisabeth Was
@katjaalissamueller I really enjoyed your response! It's a bit sad that perfection doesn't exist, but it's also liberating in a way. It's like learning something new, the more you learn, the more you realize how much there is to know. The pursuit of perfection can be never-ending and seductive for someone's mind, but it's much better to focus on being happy with the result, even if it's not perfect. After all, happiness is not a destination, but a journey. Thank you for sharing your perspective!