Do you set personal growth goals? How do you track your progress?

Dafni Chontou
18 replies

Replies

Adi Bhatnagar
Adding on journaling mentioned by Johny -> Productivity Planner.
Dafni Chontou
@adityabhatnagar12 Do you have a favorite one? Someone recently recommended to me the Klarheit planners and wanted to give it a try for reflection. I still prefer though to track my growth goals in a digital way
Adi Bhatnagar
@dafnihnd - I will recommend - https://www.intelligentchange.co... - it is simple. Aside, digital can be good to keep on-screen productivity tracking. I use PomoDoneApp for Mac, Windows, Linux & Android to keep track of progress. 🚀
Dafni Chontou
@adityabhatnagar12 ah awesome will definitely give it a try! thanks for the suggestion :)
Journaling helps a lot, to get an overview of what went well and what could be improved. And if there's a thing that's quantifiable (eg. practice guitar every day for 10 minutes, spend 10 minutes on Duolingo), I use the "Streaks" app, it's awesome for motivating me to keep on with the progress.
MacLain Christie
@johnnyfekete I'd second journaling. And I'd also add that I journal about the goal even when I've fallen behind on it or had to put it on pause. It can look something like "another day and I still haven't done __. It feels like ___ or ___ is blocking me, so maybe I can try ___ to make it easier." I've found that this kind of 'zero progress journaling' helps me a lot. It takes the negativity away from feeling like I'm failing. And instead it keeps me more open to how life and circumstances change and how to adapt my goals in response.
Dafni Chontou
@johnnyfekete thanks a lot for sharing Johnny! Journaling helps me a lot as well. I also ask myself how confident would I feel to mentor someone on this skill/ topic to get a sense of my progress. I'll definitely check out Streaks. For habit building, I used Tangerine in the past but tend to drop off every couple of months.
Dafni Chontou
@johnnyfekete @maclain_christie I love your reflection process MacLain! Absolutely, goals should complement our lives, not take over. That's a very positive way to look at ever changing goals and life priorities. Thanks for sharing.
No but I probably should!
Dafni Chontou
@maxwellcdavis feel free to DM me if you want help/ brainstorming. I've been studying everything around personal growth and goals for 2+ years now :)
Ayaz Karimov
I use basic tools such as Trello, and I also give the deadlines to myself so it helps me to be on the right track.
Dafni Chontou
@ayaz_karimov1 thanks for sharing Ayaz! What do you like the most about Trello? Anything you are missing? Also, do you use the same tools for your day-to-day work? I used to use the same system for my to-dos and my learning and growth goals and found that the 2nd always got de-prioritised. Now, I enjoy tracking my growth goals in a different space for some mental clarity.
Bertha Kgokong
I have started doing that recently with an OKR tool, embedded in our Skhokho software. I find that tracking my goals, helps me to stay committed. What really helps is doing it as a team, so i have encouraged the whole team to set goals, they are visible to all of us - so we all know how each one of us is doing on their targets.
Dafni Chontou
@berthakgokong that's a fantastic way to build a learning culture in the team! Way to go Bertha :) And I've also found that tracking how I'm progressing towards my goals helps me to stick to them.
Ann
I mainly use a kanban board to track my progress. I first break my goals down into small and actionabale tasks, and then move them from to-do, progress, to done depending on my status. I review the board like each quarter or so to evaluate my goals. For a Kanban software i can recommend the free version of Zenkit Projects. This is a product from the startup I'm working now, so i'm definitely biased. 😜 But i really like Kanban - such a clear way to visualize your goals :)
Dafni Chontou
@tzuan Ann love your super thorough process! Break goals into actionable steps are the best way to move forward :) Thanks for sharing Zenkit, will check it out! Using your own product is also a great way to empathize with your users and come up with new ideas.
Ana Dodig
Maybe I work in digital, but I still love planners, so I have always small pocket agenda with me, where I write my personal goals. I also have some deadlines for every personal growth goals. Like in work condition. It's all about task, focus and deadlines :)
Dafni Chontou
@dodig_ana absolutely Anna! I've also found that having an accountability partner helps me to stick to personal goals. And love your idea of always keeping a small agenda close for journaling.