Distributing software, what problems do you see?

Kacper Raubo
9 replies
From my point of view, there are things that do not work well in the process of distributing apps. 1. It works as if each operating system was a different world whereas we all live in the same one, regardless of using OS. But the fact that for each system we use a different distributing interface, makes wrong impression that it is not like that. 2. Being found by users is difficult Especially when the app is new, it takes months to get to the top of the store and be discovered by a user. 3. Selling apps is divided across operating systems Nowadays there is no any general marketplace for selling software. Whereas there are solutions focused on music or movies, there still is no any modern approach to software and the matter of selling them across various operating systems. 4. Owning apps is different than it was before In fact, rather than buy, we lend them out. In my opinion, we need a solution that would be a response to the fact, exactly like in the case of music and movie industries. 5. Their amount is enormously large There are millions of apps out there. People does not use only one app from a particular category. It is not, but should be, taken into account in the way app stores work today. What problems you, as founders, developers, marketers and users, see in the process of deploying, marketing and selling apps?

Replies

Bogomil Shopov - Бого
We've covered this in another thread already :) Some great ideas there.
Kacper Raubo
But you are right, @bogomep, the discussion, in the mentioned post, is very valuable. Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion there :)
Bogomil Shopov - Бого
@raubo we spoke about creating sort of a web discovery protocol or something similar, maybe distributed.
Kacper Raubo
@bogomep, well, there is users’ point of view. I am really curious of founders’ and developers’ one.
Kacper Raubo
Like @bogomep wrote, there is a discussion (https://www.producthunt.com/disc...), which covers the aspect of software from users' point of view. I encourage to take a look and learn more about the problem in a different context.
Kacper Raubo
I have just updated the list of problems I see. I am very curious of your view.