[ChangeLog] February 4th, 2022 Release Notes

Ashley Higgins
12 replies

New year, new team, new features! We are growing fast at Product Hunt (see: Prologue and our job openings), which means we’re going to have a lot more cool stuff for you to play with this year as we expand Product Hunt into THE place to learn about new and established products. Here are some of the most recent features we’ve released.

• New topics We’ve updated our topics hierarchy to better organize products. Makers will have the ability to choose from new topics when they submit a product (or if they edit an old product). We will make topic browsing and selection easier soon too when we release new display and picker components.

• Modernizing the site We made big changes to the look and feel last year, but we still want to give a fresh coat of paint (and performance updates) to a few more pages. We’ve released changes to the Founders Club and Terms and Conditions pages, and we will continue with updates to profiles, notifications, jobs, and this very changelog page.

• You might also like We’ve made it easier to discover related products in the context of what you’re already browsing on the homepage. This update extends the lifespan of a product beyond its launch day. What began as a small experiment received a lot of positive feedback (and data), so we’ve decided to release it to everyone.

• Search improvements We are upgrading our search algorithm to make it easier to find your favorite products on Product Hunt. Need help finding the perfect tool for the job? We got you! Keep an eye out for even more search capabilities in the near future.

• Golden Kitty Awards These don’t just happen on their own. Aside from a monumental effort from our community team, the engineering team put in a ton of work to make this event happen. If you weren’t able to check out the live event, you can watch it on YouTube or browse the list of all finalists and winners on the blog.

Replies

Dispose To get rid
I have test this app for my TLC models & Talent page and its working so good.
Oli
@ahiggz “ We’ve made it easier to discover related products in the context of what you’re already browsing on the homepage “ Please dont do that!!! you will be like Youtube... just once looking a cat video and hop you have for one month to remove them from your page! We are also here to discover products that maybe we never look for! Give us a bit more options for adding our products, not too much for not coming as mess but enough to use H2, H3, one or 2 colors for match with our Brand identity or even better adding a real editor like that the people who post the “ first comment “ who dont have knowledge of THE CODE can easy do it. Ps: do you still help the solo founder by 5K this year?
Michael Silber
@ahiggz @oli_vbc Thanks for the feedback, Oli. We certainly don't want to affect your ability to discover new and upcoming products. This is why we present these recommendations differently from the rest of the homepage feed. Also, we won't let one click determine the rest of your interactions with Product Hunt — can't promise you'll see fewer cats though 😸 Using some light markdown on the product post page is interesting. We have been updating our support for markdown, so it may find its way to the product page. We will want to strike the right balance between helping makers organize and express themselves vs becoming an eye-sore for users. We'll dig into this!
Oli
@ahiggz @product_at_producthunt - You right for the design, I said that because im gonna launch soon and I made a nice first comment and when I came to check all what I made was removing by the lake of options, like I said H2, H2 for paragraph to separate well some app options. I was using blue colors for my social network link like that they was in the same colors as my brand identity, etc... Also a great option is before to save a date or directly post, a nice think can be view what it will look like, and dont tell me to go see some tools that some Hunters made for that because they are not up to date for pics size, numbers of characters, etc... I personally think that is your job to give us that option. And not prob to see more cats, I have a little tiger at home, but giving to us to close same thing that we like before make us turn on ourself and miss great news products where we maybe never discover or think that they can help us.
Connor Jewiss
Love the changes incoming! 🙌 So glad to hear it's been a good year, and there's more good to come. 💪
Stephany Dionysio
Here's an improvement tip: I think we should be seeing more cat gifs like this one throughout the website :-)
Misha Krunic
Love the changes! Keep up the good work!
Chris Messina
Thanks for the updates! Much appreciated. Can you expand on what you mean when you say that you want to "expand Product Hunt into THE place to learn about new and established products"? Historically, hunting existing products was forbidden. Is that changing? Furthermore, what role, if any, do you imagine for hunters (such as myself, and others) going forward? It seems like you prefer that makers launch themselves; is that an intentional shift in strategy going forward?
Michael Silber
@chrismessina Product Hunt has always been a great place to learn about new and cutting-edge products as they launch, but we want to create more tools for building an enduring product footprint. Past policies have primarily been in place to ensure the community isn’t seeing large FAANG-type products that they are likely already aware of, but we have always allowed for new and substantial product updates for existing products to be posted. Hunters play an important role in surfacing new, interesting products and bringing Makers into the community. We want to encourage more Makers to be active on launch day, and you’ve been a great partner in this because you communicate with Makers and invite them to be active in the community. Our goal is to promote and facilitate conversations between Makers and the community. Longer-term, we want to make sure Makers and Hunters both have the tools to be successful on Product Hunt.
Chris Messina
@product_at_producthunt thanks Michael! Can you also expand on what you mean by "an enduring product footprint"? I've always pitched Product Hunt as the App Store for everything else (as well as for iOS apps)! Is that what you mean? I'd love to have more tools to make my work as a hunter more efficient. Let me know if you need input! :)
Michael Silber
@chrismessina we’re creating more tools for every stage of a product’s lifecycle (before, during, and after launch). This means more touch points for bringing makers and the broader community together to build and launch awesome stuff.
GamerSeo
Great informations