πŸ”„ Career pivot: Have your passion led you to a new field?

Evelina Radoycheva
18 replies
I have a degree in Math and Computer Science and I've always thought that my future is in Development. Until I found myself in that field. And I didn't quite like it. 🀦 Luckily, I was able to switch to something that felt right for me - Graphic & Web Design. After several years in this field, another twist happened, which led me to my current position in Marketing. What's next? Who knows. I'm curious, has anyone else experienced such a career change and where has it taken you?

Replies

Ingeberg Homewood
If you're thinking about changing careers, know that it's perfectly normal to be wary of trying something new. As your goals, priorities, and ambitions change, so does what you want to see in a job. Maybe you've been thinking about a change for some time, or maybe you've only recently reconsidered your career path in light of the pandemic issues. Whatever the reason, it's never too late to make a move. Then I got the idea that It is possible to get an HVAC certification online. Thanks to then getting an HVAC certification license online, it would be possible to travel to many prosperous countries worldwide.
Andrii Kpyto
But you still get benefits by deep understanding Computer Science and Graphic & Web Design, right? :)
Mariya Valchanova
What a great series of twists! I love that while you were switching from Graphic and Web design, I took a turn towards it. I graduated with a degree in Economics, however my first job out of university was as an assistant to the HR Director of Hilton for Continental Europe. After a year of travelling, organizing conferences and learning a lot about the hotel industry, I changed course and started as a business analyst in tech consulting. In two years I became a consultant and I truly enjoyed my job a lot. However, my creative side always strived for more and all of my favorite work was always in the bits related to 'designing' whatever I could (most often a presentation deck). So I thought... why not fully focus on something that brought me so much joy? And for the past two years I have been the head UX and UI designer of a tech startup, designing everything - from the platform itself to every article thumbnail. It has been challenging and I still have so much to learn but I love the process and seeing how far I have come. My passion has led me here and I am very glad I have followed it!
Ender
Yes! I conducted ML research for a year and decided that I probably don’t want to start a startup anymore. I just like doing research. I’m impressed by web designers. Props to you. I went through a design workshop in the summer of 2020 and my designs are still not as high quality as I would wish.
Manoj Ranaweera
I'm building https://skilledup.life for anyone to try out a new field. We provide Experiences and Skills - great for career pivots. Try out before you jump.
Wiktoria Jaszcza
Evelina, you could say: "Until I found myself in that field. And I didn't quite like it. 😊" Best of luck with another twist.
Kira Leigh
I started out as an art educator, moved on to graphic design, then ended up sort of lumping 'full stack tech-creative' under my belt, did PM for a while, and now I'm writing subversive cyberpunk novels πŸ˜‚ I think that last one is where it's at. Don't get me wrong, I love technology and Startups, but I really just want to make art. Now I get to, full time, at least for the next two years or so πŸ’ͺ
Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
Evelina, I love this question! Prior to transitioning into technology, I was an English & Debate High-School teacher. I enjoyed being a teacher and working with teenagers, however, I wanted to work with like-minded people at a startup, where things move quickly (pivots, pivots, pivots). Today, I work at Amy (check out our upcoming page: https://www.producthunt.com/upco...), and I couldn't be more satisfied!
Evelina Radoycheva
@lior_galante_cohen For a couple of months I worked as a Math teacher. I must say, I had an amazing time!
Joseph V. Lawrence
Went from aircraft technician to book translator to customer support operator to media analyst. Not sure what's next, there is no pattern. Maybe a coal miner, or an actor? Or president of the universe?
Bogomil Shopov - Π‘ΠΎΠ³ΠΎ
Oh yeah :) I keep changing my career goals every now and then :) If you look at my resume you can get scared :)
Atul Ghorpade
I liked your career journey. For me, I came to digital marketing, because it's have huge scope and growth is also amazing. Let's see. In future, I want to enter into data analytics field.
Amanda Trincher
I haven't changed my area yet but I'm already thinking about it. I am now looking at various directions in aerospace engineering. For example, a composite engineer - https://engre.co/blogs/articles/... looks more than promising, and it seems now the average salary is more than good