Can we talk about roadmaps for a minute?

Matt O'Connell
4 replies
In product circles there is a ton of talk that has been circulating for some time now about shifting how we think about work. Less focus on outputs (the actual task) and more focus on the outcomes we want to achieve (our goals). When thinking about outcomes & roadmaps, it's kind of funny to me that roadmaps are essentially a list of features (outputs). At the end of the day, the 'things' that are being prioritized are still the individual outputs. I'm curious how teams, that are actually working in outcomes, connect features to outcomes on their roadmaps? I can kick it off with what I've seen - Create a wiki page and add a link to an epic level ticket in (jira, github, monday, asana, productboard, trello, etc...) Anything else?

Replies

Daniel Leal
I strongly recommend the approach of the book inspired and this article from Alexander Torrenegra, a Colombian entrepreneur: https://blog.torre.co/experiment...
It's kind of the same thing with Vision-Strategy-Projects. For example we're creating a new Twitch Extension to help streamers with audience engagement. We have a bunch of "product features" that deal that align to that but we've also got some strategic things - like making our product "sticky". We have launched yet so keen to hear the thoughts here...
Matt O'Connell
@maxwellcdavis I think if I interpret you correctly you have some "product" outcomes and those are the features that users actually care about and you have "business" outcomes that your business cares about (reduce churn, increase MAU). Is the question around getting thoughts on aligning those two ideas to better prioritize what to do next?