Do you think Cold Emails is still the best way to generate leads for a product?

Vikram Sahu ꩜
17 replies
Every morning when I open my mail client, I see my Gmail flooded with marketing promotions, and my work mailbox loaded with cold emails from different companies trying to sell their product. While I hardly respond to those cold emails, but not sure if this is true with everyone or I am trying to generalize here.

Replies

Dola
We prefer concise, personalized, and witty Twitter DMs. Works like a charm!
Dola
@dolapay @fabian_maume just be like, "Hey, I'm trying to DM you, mind opening them up?" Usually works well.
Fabian Maume
@dolapay How do you approach twitter users, with DMs feature disabled?
Vikram Sahu ꩜
@dolapay Twitter DM is good option to emails, but how do you handle the replies? and any idea what is success ratio as compared to emails?
Dola
@dolapay @snipperbytes I'd say a good Twitter DM that's concise and witty gets an 80-90% response rate, assuming you're not DM'ing Justin Bieber ;) also, we use @intercom and have all replies do back into our conversations.
Elen Udovichenko
Cold emailing certainly is an effective lead generation strategy (that is if you use it correctly - i.e. hand-pick quality prospects, personalize your messages, engage across different channels, etc.) Yet, I wouldn't call it "the best." After all, there's content marketing, paid ads, social selling, etc. There is word of mouth and referrals too (which are even more effective than the rest of the listed tactics).
Dibya Sahoo
@elen_u +1. With the increase in the number of emails we receive every day, I believe even personalisations like Hi Dibya or your website is example.com is not enough. The messaging has to evolve beyond simple personalisation to **Hyper Personalisation** (Talking about some real problems with the target persona).
Vikram Sahu ꩜
@elen_u @geniusdibya +1 Agree! "Hyper personalization" looks like a great idea! It is going to make our emails look more human. Also, this will generate natural emotions and build a positive perspective for the sender. The receiver will feel privileged and at the same time, going to respect the sender's effort in drafting the problem and possible solutions. This way one can even start building great sender reputation with cold emails also.
Elen Udovichenko
@geniusdibya @snipperbytes great point! Hyper-personalization is really important in cold outreach. For example, we've been experimenting by including links to dynamic landing pages, personalized images or videos, or even 100% custom research-based snippets into our emails. While it does take some time and effort to come up with those (especially custom snippets) this tactic also drives the best results 😉 Another great approach to making your cold outreach more effective is to go multichannel by adding touchpoints across other channels, e.g. calls, voicemails, LinkedIn, to your sequences. Thanks to the mentioned tactics, we've managed to increase our open and reply rates from 57% and 11% to 83% and 29% accordingly over the last 6 months 🙌
Dibya Sahoo
@elen_u That's quite a significant jump with cold outreach 👍- a lot to learn from you. I met with brands, who even struggle to manage a 5% open rates on their cold emails. Most of their emails land in spam and they end up getting their sender domain listed with Gmail and other anti-spams.
Dibya Sahoo
@elen_u btw what tool you're using for multi-channel? I'm unable to discover some great tools who can help in showing those custom snippets.
Fabian Maume
Yes it is still a good way to generated lead. You just need good targeting and a lot of personalisation. Tools like lemlist 2.0 can help with the personalisation. Also linkedin outreach is a good alternative to cold email with tools like Phantombuster
Sugandh Sharma
@vikramsahu Honestly, that’s a great thought but it would be too presumptuous of us to think that people do not open their marketing emails. The reason why a lot of people sign up for newsletters or the latest updates through email subscriptions is to know if they’ve not missed out on a great deal of good information that might come in handy. Plus, cold emails are a great way for businesses to capture qualified leads effectively. I think everyone should give them a try.
Shailendra Singh
Emails that read like conversations and not selling-you-this-pen now kinds pitches open up prospects to the sender. People do not buy benefits / products / features, they are just concerned about their problems. if they think the email sender identifies with the pain as much as they do they will start a conversation. Simple format that works like a charm every time you reach out cold. [Opener] Start with yourself and why you decided to reach out [Pain] Articulate clearly the pain the prospect might be going through [optional - Authority] Explain why you understand the pain as dearly as him [negative impact of the pain] Articulate what might be going wrong or would go wrong if this pain is not solved [The solution] How can he be relieved of the pain NOT How can you relieve him of the pain. Avoid injecting your pitch explaining why that can solve the pain in this mail. He will respond if he identifies with the pain. Then you pitch your solution. This is the science of selling a painkiller