How to build a tech product, coming from a non-tech background

Pushpak Mundre
5 replies
I started my first venture in college. It was a marketplace for college students. there were multiple reasons it didn't work out and one of the reasons was, I was not able to find a tech co-founder and I didn't know a lot about tech.

Replies

Raunaq Vaisoha
Here are some ways I think you could connect with passionate technical people: 1) Organize a Hackathon. Do it for free for a local co-working space, start-up etc. This worked way better pre-pandemic, but virtual hackathons are also a way to start chatting with interesting people. As the organizer, you’ll get a birds-eye view and get to talk to many people. 2) Work/Intern at a Tech Start-Up. There should be many talented people, who by nature of working in an early-stage company might also have an interest in starting-up themselves. 3) Find a Mentor. Someone who’s a connector, like a community manager for instance. They’re passionate about putting like-minded people together. One type of person to look for could actually be someone who’s organized hackathons in the past. They’re typically really approach-able and respond to cold emails. They’d have a ready roster of technical people they could connect you to. 4) Start-Up. Then post a job on AngelList, that’s another place where you’d find people who want to start-up and would be open to potentially co-founding something with you, if you’ve defined an exciting mission.
Stephane Ibos
@raunaqvaisoha You can also share your idea on forums such as IndieHacker, Reddit, etc. There are plenty of passionate tech people out there that would be more than thrilled to embark with you on the ride (assuming they like the idea and your personalities click). Of course, you will have to treat them as co-founders from scratch, so that means ensuring they have meaningful equity to stick with you throughout.
Pushpak Mundre
@raunaqvaisoha This is really helpful. Thank you so much Raunaq
Dan Gusz
One word: nocode. Check out tools like Adalo, Bubble, Zapier, Carrd, Parabola, etc. We built our product without having a technical background.
Pushpak Mundre
@jdgusz Thanks Dan. I'll check it out