Marketing NO-GOs

Agnieszka Stec
17 replies
Can you think of any marketing practices that are certain to make you shiver and steer clear of the product? Let's share and learn :)

Replies

Elen Udovichenko
Gated content πŸ˜– especially if it takes 5+ fields including business email and phone number to complete the form! Also, social media PODs - once I see dozens of those bot-like comments "awesome!" "thanks for sharing!" I will scroll down no matter how good the post is.
Mr Ethar Alali
@elen_u this is really interesting insight! I've seen automated bots do this posts, including some of ours. We didn't put them there. Always accounts looking for a follow, but if other people scroll past because of this, we need to start blocking! :-D
Elen Udovichenko
@ethar_alali if you didn't put those bots there - there's not much you can do! But some people do that on purpose using the so-called engagement pods. And that is definitely a no-go for me:)
Mr Ethar Alali
@ethar_alali @elen_u absolutely get that, yes! The interesting thing with this insight, is this means someone who is the subject of engagement bots by other accounts [who do this on insta to try to garner engagements from larger followings] who just happens to be in the firing line, gets rejected by their audience. Your answer is really valuable!
Andrey
I feel bad when they consider customers to be idiots. Like "Sign up today and save $1000 by getting access to page X for free".
Agnieszka Stec
@andrey_mi Agree! It sounds shady and kills trust.
Olga Trykush
I hate: 1) outdated websites, or designs with numerous flaws - it means for me that they have the same attidute to the product - incomprehensibility 2) cheap tricks - you have only 24 hours to buy our product for this low price (and this message has been on the website for the last 2 weeks) 3) when I don’t understand what the product is from the first section/description boxes on the website
Agnieszka Stec
@olha_trykush Spot on. I am also allergic to those cheap tricks. When it comes to websites, I would also add bad/pushy design. Cramped websites with a dozen moving and blinking ads can effectively put the customers off.
Parag B.
Outdated crappy webpage. I absolutely hate those and I absolutely judge a book by its cover. If you can't use a simple HTML creation tool, then you can't build anything that I could want.
Blanka Szabo
I hate evergreen sales. Especially paired with a countdown timer that always seems to restart... Oh and don't get me started on the fake 'only x amount left' tricks...
Agnieszka Stec
@blanka_polkadot True, especially the timer seems pushy and overly dramatic πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
Jasmind Thomas
Embedding video that automatically plays on a web page
Agnieszka Stec
@jasmind_thomas Yes! And the sound is usually deafening 😬
Jasmind Thomas
@ygnys especially at night when you're trying to not wake your significant as you read a Yahoo! article lol
Agnieszka Stec
Haha, exactly :)
Nate Dame
Over simplification. And too much detail. Both types of extremes (too simple, and too much detail) drive me crazy. Need to strike the right balance.