Marketing NO-GOs

Agnieszka Stec
17 replies
Can you think of any marketing practices that are certain to make you shiver and steer clear of the product? Let's share and learn :)

Replies

Blanka Szabo
I hate evergreen sales. Especially paired with a countdown timer that always seems to restart... Oh and don't get me started on the fake 'only x amount left' tricks...
Agnieszka Stec
@blanka_polkadot True, especially the timer seems pushy and overly dramatic πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
Andrey
I feel bad when they consider customers to be idiots. Like "Sign up today and save $1000 by getting access to page X for free".
Agnieszka Stec
@andrey_mi Agree! It sounds shady and kills trust.
Olga Trykush
I hate: 1) outdated websites, or designs with numerous flaws - it means for me that they have the same attidute to the product - incomprehensibility 2) cheap tricks - you have only 24 hours to buy our product for this low price (and this message has been on the website for the last 2 weeks) 3) when I don’t understand what the product is from the first section/description boxes on the website
Agnieszka Stec
@olha_trykush Spot on. I am also allergic to those cheap tricks. When it comes to websites, I would also add bad/pushy design. Cramped websites with a dozen moving and blinking ads can effectively put the customers off.
Parag B.
Outdated crappy webpage. I absolutely hate those and I absolutely judge a book by its cover. If you can't use a simple HTML creation tool, then you can't build anything that I could want.
Jasmind Thomas
Embedding video that automatically plays on a web page
Agnieszka Stec
@jasmind_thomas Yes! And the sound is usually deafening 😬
Jasmind Thomas
@ygnys especially at night when you're trying to not wake your significant as you read a Yahoo! article lol
Agnieszka Stec
Haha, exactly :)
Elen Udovichenko
Gated content πŸ˜– especially if it takes 5+ fields including business email and phone number to complete the form! Also, social media PODs - once I see dozens of those bot-like comments "awesome!" "thanks for sharing!" I will scroll down no matter how good the post is.
Mr Ethar Alali
@elen_u this is really interesting insight! I've seen automated bots do this posts, including some of ours. We didn't put them there. Always accounts looking for a follow, but if other people scroll past because of this, we need to start blocking! :-D
Elen Udovichenko
@ethar_alali if you didn't put those bots there - there's not much you can do! But some people do that on purpose using the so-called engagement pods. And that is definitely a no-go for me:)
Mr Ethar Alali
@ethar_alali @elen_u absolutely get that, yes! The interesting thing with this insight, is this means someone who is the subject of engagement bots by other accounts [who do this on insta to try to garner engagements from larger followings] who just happens to be in the firing line, gets rejected by their audience. Your answer is really valuable!
Nate Dame
Over simplification. And too much detail. Both types of extremes (too simple, and too much detail) drive me crazy. Need to strike the right balance.