Makers! Keen to understand what kind of geolocation technologies you have used?

Deep Sherchan
6 replies
Looking to discuss the use of IP geolocation and other location technologies.

Replies

Mr Ethar Alali
IP geolocation has been a staple of mine for almost 25 years. Though I have also used: * Bluetooth beacons for very short distances (specifically geofencing) * LoRaWAN with fixed antenna * GPS IP services are numerous, but the data is publicly available. You can build your own DB of you want, it but there is now a docker image of it through Maxmind. Also, probably worth mentioning, though not fine grained enough, don't forget that CloudFlare also provides a location service, to return the country code in the header, when it comes from the reverse proxy.
Deep Sherchan
Thanks @ethar_alali. that is interesting. For IP, have you been using any specific service or do you have your own.
new23d
I have used the free, lite version of the database from db-ip.com .
Deep Sherchan
@new23d Thats great to hear. If I may ask, what are the key features you looked while choosing the service. Was it based on your peer reviews, google search? The main reason for asking is that I am currently researching this topic and keen to understand the process. Thanks
new23d
It was one supported in an analytics suite that we use, and it was free. Also, it had organizational data which is not useful when people are WFH. Once people return to their offices, organization data will become useful again.