Do temporary products (built to solve temporary problems) go obsolete?

Rangarajan Nallappa
13 replies
2020 has been that kinda year where there have been a number of products launched to solve problems that might not even exist in the future. Do these products get obsolete after a while? How do the makers adapt to changing market and needs?

Replies

Mr Ethar Alali
Nope. As long as it is general enough, it can certainly pivot.
Rangarajan Nallappa
@ethar_alali So, it's always important to have a bigger picture (problem) while building a product rather than concentrating on temporary problems. Can't agree more.
Mr Ethar Alali
@ethar_alali @rangarajan_nallappa Indeed. A key point is that nobody will buy, unless the first thing solves a specific problem. Even if it's a general tool I founded and built Automedi. We sell it as a solution to care products shortages, but if you stick just to that, it causes different sorts of problem. Our solution is (non-exhaustive list): 1. A circular economy 2. A digital twin supply chain 3. A distributed manufacturing platform 4. A bioplastics enabler (cutting down on oil based plastics) 5. An economic leveller 6. Commodity market ... We consciously made technical decisions to ensure we can find our niche, as most people can't carry all of that in their heads at once. So we focused on just one thing to start (the manufacturing appliance) and can easily pivot to any vertical in less than a few days.
Sanjith Kanagavel
I personally believe the products that's getting launched will evolve creating a new market for the future. As said again no product is new product, its just different upgraded versions of existing ones! ✌🏻
Dragos Bulugean
If they can iterate on the products to keep them relevant in the future, I think they have a good chance to last on the market.
Julia Ching
No, these products can upgrade their version after a while when they added new features as per requirements. These products can not get obsolete.
Rangarajan Nallappa
@salonist_software But just a feature upgrade? I would beg to differ. I think the change (or evolution) needs to be bigger. The problem the product solves, or may the whole purpose of the product must evolve. Re-positioning is a mandate, don't you think so?
Tatiana Kukova, PhD
@salonist_software @rangarajan_nallappa I would agree with that. Also, I would add that it is much harder to create an innovative product rather than add one more feature. It takes more time, energy, effort, mental capacity, resources, infrastructure and a solid team behind your product. Everybody should be on the same page, knowing how to move forward. The executive team should be focused on vision, mission, values, and company culture. These components are inseparable from a sustainable business, which can continually innovate at times of economic uncertainty and instability.
Julia Ching
@rangarajan_nallappa Yes, Re-positioning is a mandate, but its according to customers demand.
Hussein Yahfoufi
I would image they can pivot as their markets change