Does adding certifications in resumes still relevant?

surya shanmugam
14 replies
When you look at a resume do you still value the certifications that one has done directly or do you try and understand if they have actually put the certifications in practice?

Replies

Rudi Fermo
I think it mostly depends on the position. There are some of them where certification is needed, but many don't require or don't look at them anymore. They rather look at what you are actually good at 😃
Rudi Fermo
@surya_shanmugam exactly, especially there 😆
surya shanmugam
@rudi_fermo That was exactly my thoughts as well especially in the field of sales and marketing
Wayne Smallman
Yes, if I was hiring someone is field that where certification was relevant. I would argue certification is far more relevant than listing educational achievement.
JamieEHill1
@waynesmallman it is very important, yes. Part of the whole package.
Anxo Armada
Your question could have lots of edges, but long story short: - Yes, if you're working for governments and public institutions - Maybe, if you're working for consulting firms (mainly because they could work for public) - No, if you're working for SMB or startups
surya shanmugam
@anxo_armada Yep for startups and SMB it's more of real life execution than certifications
Dragos Bulugean
As a Founder, I can say that certifications or studies does not mean that much anymore, it's just about what that person is able to do, but in certain situations I think certifications are important
JamieEHill1
@dragos_bulugean Disagree, certificate completion shows many things beyond just the surface achievement.
Rangarajan Nallappa
What's more relevant is the knowledge you have gained out of those certifications and how well you have put them to use. I look at an average of 5-6 profiles a day and I hardly recollect going through the certifications section on their resumes. I don't make it a point to talk to the candidates about those certifications too but in a way try to understand how they have used the skill in their career.
JamieEHill1
@rangarajan_nallappa this is a problem that my company solves. Candidates not properly communicating their very own value proposition, which accreditations and certifications are a part of.
Jacob Logan
Yes, certification was necessary. Dumpsschool delivers brilliant training material for a different variety of certifications. We have protected almost all sellers and all certifications so our customers don't have to worry about a thing. We have a large customer database and we help them in all likely situations to pass the certification exam.https://www.dumpsschool.com/
JamieEHill1
The proper presentation of accomplishments, accreditations, and certifications is a crucial part of representing yourself properly via resume