How do you know when to get a co-founder?

Rotimi
5 replies
This has always been a thought on my mind. I have always worked alone since I can remember. Yeah, I hire marketing and legal professionals. But I'm the one who builds the SAAS to MVP. I have always seen my startup as a sole proprietorship. I have no issue with this approach as it works for me. Although a part of me believes I could do better with a co-founder. Which brings me to my question. In my scenario, would you say that I need a co-founder? either tech-oriented or other? Are co-founders only needed when scaling a product? Please educate me on this. Thank you!

Replies

Demi Yang
I would say you need a co-founder when you no longer have the time to serve your growing customer base. Or if you are not able to grow your customer base anymore with your work capacity. If there is not a particular problem to solve, then getting a co-founder right now might not be worth it. I also am working alone on a SaaS product and only get the occasional consultation or help from my network. If you need help with something, just asking for advice can help you scope out who you would work well with. If you have someone in mind, then you can ask yourself this question, again.
Richard Shepherd
Maybe you could try getting a co-founder for a new product idea and see how you get on? I worked alone for a long time (maybe as long as ten years I think) and have worked for about 18 months now with a co-founder. It is so much better working with someone. I think the benefits are: - We inspire each other. - We prevent each other from getting stuck in rabbit holes of thought. - Two opinions on a subject can bring fresh and valuable perspectives to a problem that your life experiences may not have allowed you to reach alone. - It's great to have someone to share success and live through challenges with. - Our skills compliment so engineering meets marketing is our blend. When you work alone, how do you keep yourself in check?
Rotimi
@richardesigns Thanks for the advice Richard and for highlighting the importance of working with a partner. I have never worked with anyone in my entire career as an engineer. I am currently leaning towards getting a co-founder for my new SAAS app. I'm just stuck on whether to go for a tech-oriented person or sales/marketing-oriented one. The former helps to further scale the app while the latter helps for more outreach, product announcement and customer acquisition. But I guess this is something I have to sleep on. Once again, I appreciate your input!
Richard Shepherd
@richardesigns @rotimi_je_suis You're welcome :-) How did your decision turn out?