How do you manage to balance personal hobbies and professional life?

Gaspard Vingtrinier
22 replies
Hello everyone! My name is Gaspard and I just started my first internship at the start up Ponicode. Our goal is to be the perfect coding partner for every developper! Since the beginning of my internship, I worked hard and learned a lot about data science. But sometimes I want to do some other stuff like read or play the guitar. How do you manage to do all of that in just 24h? Do you have some tips to share? Or other fun activities you do to get away from coding?

Replies

Habeebullahi Sulyman
I just make sure to schedule in an hour or two of free time into my google calendar. I think it can be easy to be carried away by work and not have leisure time, especially if you are working from home. Some fun activities that I like are- having a zoom call with friends/family, cooking or baking something new, watching documentaries, and discovering new music 😊
Hannah S Kim
I just make sure to schedule in an hour or two of free time into my google calendar. I think it can be easy to be carried away by work and not have leisure time, especially if you are working from home. Some fun activities that I like are- having a zoom call with friends/family, cooking or baking something new, watching documentaries, and discovering new music 😊
Matt Olevinsky
Hey Gaspard and community. There is an awesome TED video about working life balance: It's old, but I strongly recommend - https://www.ted.com/talks/nigel_... It once helped me to get the ball rolling about the sub 😊
Inkay Again
Personally I find it easier if you maintain some sort of a schedule between your work and hobbies. A good schedule allows me even to go travel with my friends for a day or two like people do in those articles https://www.trendingus.com/luxur... on a rental cars and return to work easily. Just take some time to learn to keep it balanced and well-rounded.
Kate Makulova
Oh, I know what you mean. When I started my first job I was consumed by it (and it led to exhaustion and burnout). Now I follow this strategy to have work-life balance: 1. I add workouts and hobbies to my calendar 2. I have hobby/workout buddies, so I just can't cancel it and keep working 3. Also, I use time tracking tools. I still work long hours sometimes, but thanks to the tools way less than I used before.
Robert Thelen
I agree with @hannahsuyun; having a schedule is key. It is very easy for a co-worker to "take time" on a calendar that is open. I try to schedule out focus time (time where I need to do actual work), family time (lunch with my daughter, dinner time, etc), and personal time (workout, go for a walk). If you don't schedule yourself, others will for you :)
Dave Galbraith
For me, I pay attention to my productivity level. Sometimes, I am in the zone and just cranking out work. I don't like to interrupt those periods. Other times, I am spaced out and barely getting anything done. Then, I put the work down and do something fun to recharge.
Habeebullahi Sulyman
Personally I find it easier if you maintain some sort of a schedule between your work and hobbies. A good schedule allows me even to go travel with my friends for a day or two like people do in those articles https://www.trendingus.com/luxur... on a rental cars and return to work easily. Just take some time to learn to keep it balanced and well-rounded.
Pavel Osadchuk
Read Rework by Basecamp. Forget startup cargo-cult. Build a Calm company. Calm is profitability. Calm is reasonable expectations. Calm is about 40 hours of work a week. Calm is about sustainable practices that can run for the long-term.
T
Feel free to do everything.
arslan 1919
Wao this is very interesting...
arslan 1919
Woh this is very interesting..
Carson Day
I was working 50+ hours a week as a commercial lender until I resigned on Oct. 23rd. I'm married with 3 boys (3 1/2, 18 months, and 4 months old). I completely stopped watching TV about 8 months ago, and I barely have any idea what's going with news, sports, entertainment, etc. So the only help I can offer is to say...I feel ya!!
Anxo Armada
I am using and developing Kudu :) We find that now is very difficult to get inspired and plan ahead cool things to do with others, so it could be easy and a no-brainer. We've just published on PH Ship to prepare our launch. If it makes sense to you, please give us feedback, it will be very welcome.
Yuliia Mamonov πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
By being intentional about my personal growth (and that includes hobbies). I set aside time after work to do something that ignites me outside the workplace. And by the way, I often find that I get the best work-related ideas while working on a side-project or engaged in a fun activity! So, it's also beneficial to your professional life!
Baker Home
The answer is simple, Make a work calendar, that's it. We often overcomplicate things a bit. Make a habit of having a work plan or schedule, i would recommend you to download a calendar http://calendarinside.com/