Would you rather work for a startup or an already well-established company? Challenge or comfort?

Romain Cauchy
10 replies
Just being curious about PH community! I have a feeling answers are gonna tend towards challenge :) Of course, some companies can provide both!

Replies

Elen Udovichenko
Working in a startup (although not really early-stage - the company has been on the market for over 5 years) and enjoy every part of it! For me, it's a breath of fresh air after working in a well-established but stale company.
Elen Udovichenko
@elen_u @romaincauchy I guess it's mostly about the freedom. I don't need to wait for my ideas to get approved by 3 levels of management - I can experiment and do what I think is right. As a result, I have a chance to really make an impact - not just be another cog in the machine.
Romain Cauchy
@elen_u What makes the biggest difference for you? The challenges?
Mohammed Imthathullah
I would love to work for a startup. All my jobs have been for established companies and would like to know how it feels to grow together with a startup. Saying that, working for established companies doesn't mean that it will not be challenging. I feel like risk vs reward might be less, but it can also be challenging based on the team/project you are working. If you are in a small team working on a new product in a big company, it essentially plays out like a startup but with a extra support of a big brother.
Romain Cauchy
@imthath_m @su_kaygun_sayran1 very good points, I can but agree with you. I work in a well-established company that has been around for almost 20 years but keeps growing like a startup. New challenges every month, new products to launch, new markets to explore... I feel like it's the best combination!
Tarek Dajani
I work in a well established company, there are various challenges but the flexibility gives me time for consulting and my startup. In a startup, I am sure it would so time consuming I would not be able to do that.
Romain Cauchy
@tdajani good point here Tarek. Good for you, seems like you spend quite some time focusing on work!
Dhiksha Venkatesan
Well a balance of both is necessary to step up your career.While a startup lets you dip your toes into a multitude of roles a well established company brings more organisation and planning to the table. At the end of the day however I would pick a startup which has a decent level of structure and organisation.
Daniil Okhlopkov
I have worked 2-3 years in companies and then switched to my own projects/startups with friends. While I'm young I don't need comfort.
Ankit Chhabra
I have worked at an established company and a startup (working currently) both. My growth became stagnant at an established company however at a startup I got a chance to work on some new verticals and tech stack which was very exciting. I feel your work is recognized more in a startup as compared to the established company which in turn is a morale booster and pushes you to give your 200%. Also, I really like the no hierarchy structure where anyone could talk to anybody.