Tips for Newbies in the World of Tech and AI

Rikki Hillenbrand
5 replies
I recently joined a fantastic, fast-growing start-up that is developing an AI product. Coming from a very "non-techy" (business) background, I have loved learning something new every day. But, I have also felt the challenges of working in an industry that is so rapidly growing and undiscovered without really knowing a lot about it, leaving me feeling a bit lost from time to time. Can anyone relate? How do you deal with finding your feet and place in unfamiliar territory like this?

Replies

Saurabh Yadav
I personally feel that it's exciting to not be the smartest person in the room. Just wondering over the knowledge that's present in someone else's head and trying to find ways to learn from them. Learning is a variable process. You can learn exponentially well if someone explains it clearly to you. Embrace the gap in your knowledge and step towards closing that gap. Workplaces need people who can grow, not someone who's an arrogant know-it-all.
Joel Barenco
Hi Rikki, I have felt that many times, in fact every time I changed job or company. I however believe this is not only for technology but for many different aspects such as communication flows, working tools, processes, responsibilities, and people. Most importantly and from my experience, the dust always settles after some time, you then slowly start setting your marks and feeling more comfortable. I don't have any magic recommendations to help you in that process, but I think constant curiosity by asking many questions will always go a long way!
Erin Hennessy
I can completely relate to this post and it feels great to know that I am not alone in this. I lean into what @Saurabh Yadav said, the less I know, the more I enjoy my role. I ask the questions most are afraid to and it is met with warmth. Most people love to teach someone who is open, eager and willing to learn. Thanks for sharing this!
Ikenna Paschal
The good thing is that you view the company you work for in positive light. That will go a long way in helping integrate well. That said, I can relate to this and would like to add to what has already been said by @erin_hennessy1 and @saurabhyadav Approach your role with humility and don't claim (or assume) to know what you don't. This has been the biggest mistake I have seen newcomers make. They read a blog post by a random guy and they assume they know better than the engineers on the company.
Meghna Bagri
I can relate to this, few months back i joined ADOHM- A new age marketing and sales cloud powered by Artificial Intelligence. Everything was totally new to me, initially I too faced many challenges where I was not able to understand any particular thing but if you have dedication and zeal to learn new things you can sail through it . Also, life is all about continuous learning.